Big Sur > Monterey > Ventura

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DavidBeardmoreMusic

Big Sur > Monterey > Ventura

Post by DavidBeardmoreMusic » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi folks

I'm always ultra cautious when there's a new MacOS upgrade so I'm still running my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) on Big Sur. Now that I'm officially 2 releases behind I'm thinking I should at least upgrade to Monterey. Other than weird little plugins, is the general view that Monterey is OK for Logic, EastWest, Cymatics, Spitfire etc....? Anyone else stay at least one version behind current? Anyone had any big unexpected issues with Monterey?

Thanks for any advice!

David

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Big Sur > Monterey > Ventura

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:30 am

If you don't need to upgrade and everything is working fine, don't do it. I don't know if you follow the Logic or UAD group on FB but everyone will tell you not to upgrade. There are professionals that are still on OS MOJHAVE Logic 10.4.5 and won't upgrade.

I am on BIG SUR 2015 iMAC and just going to stay on this until I upgrade my computer to a MAC studio max and then go from there.

good luck.

DavidBeardmoreMusic

Post by DavidBeardmoreMusic » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:14 am

Hey Gitanosoy!
I was kinda suspecting that might be the answer. You're quite right - all is working find, there's no need to upgrade so I'll stay as I am
Thanks for replying

Best regards, David

audiogust

Post by audiogust » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:19 pm

The one caveat to not updating is that you do want to keep up with security updates that come for your OS. At some point, Apple (and Microsoft) stop doing security patches for old versions of the OS. macOS Mojave, for example, stopped getting security updates in April 2022 and Catalina stopped being supported in September (see https://endoflife.date/macos). If you are not current on security updates and your computer is connected to the internet, your computer could be compromised in a way that would be even more damaging than a software incompatibility.

I agree that you should not update to the latest major OS versions until you know that your software will work well on that version. Most audio software companies are reasonably good at supporting the N-1 version by the time the next one comes out for any software that is actively developed and supported. If you have old plugins or other software that is no longer supported, or the original company is no longer around, you should start figuring out how to get away from that plug-in because, eventually, you will have no choice ;). Computers don't last forever and new ones usually only support the most recent operating system.

I've been poking a lot of software companies about not yet supporting the new Apple Silicon chips. Since you really can't buy a new Mac running an Intel chip today (ok you can, but it's not a good idea), they are putting their users at significant risk by not being current. Glad to see that most of them now work properly, if not optimally, on current Apple hardware.

As for me, my production Macs are still running Monterey (but are M1 based) and will probably stay that way for a while but I do make sure other software updates are installed as soon as possible.

-Chris

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:30 pm

Hi David,
I just wanted to let you know that I updated to Monterey. Everything works fine on my end.

I have a :
iMac 2015 (later)
Logic 10.6.3
Apollo Twin MKII

Plugins:
UAD mostly
Waves 4 of them
and s few free ones.

NI Instruments

Had to rescan a few plugins but no big issues.

Runs great and faster.

All good