Using the service Songtrust?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jhkulberg

Using the service Songtrust?

Post by jhkulberg » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:21 am

Hi - is there any point in using services like https://www.songtrust.com in addition to my PRO?

Does anyone have any experience with services like this , and wether they can generate income that would otherwise be missed by the PRO?

I am fairly new to writing library-music, trying to learn as much as I can about the business, and there are so many services out there claiming to be the missing link.

Thanks!

Jan-Henrik Kulberg, NORWAY

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Using the service Songtrust?

Post by kregdurant » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:40 am

Someone will come in to confirm this, but from what I understand.... If you look in the FAQ under "How does Songtrust Work" it says that this is a Publishing Admin deal, and they Tie up 15% of your publishing. I've been told that this can cause issues and NOT to do it. It's really dumb that you can't go and collect all of your royalties, but it's how things are at the moment. If you want to collect your royalties for the united states, i'd suggest this

https://www.themlc.com/

jhkulberg

Post by jhkulberg » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:20 am

Thank you. Yes after some Googling it looks like Songtrust is actually some kind of publisher and that signing with them would make me less attractive to libraries.

kregdurant
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kregdurant » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:02 pm

Yep. At least thats what ive been told. Lol. Check out the link i sent, its new and was mandated by the govt. It collects us writers/pub royalties but doesnt take a cut, or publishing. The international royalties will just continue to dissappear into the abyss.

If anybody else reads this. Can you include what the best structure is for artists (exclusive vs non exclusive) to collect those international royalties as well, id assume if someone is cutting a 50/50 deal theyd be happy to collect those dead fish royalties as well but im not sure.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:37 pm

Yea, you have to be very careful to never allow anyone to be a publishing admin or you won't be able to sign your songs with libraries for Film/TV (or other publishers too).

A friend of mine tells me Soundrop does distribution without taking any publishing admin. For pure royalty collection there is MLC and Soundexchange.

I use Distrokid for distribution and they do not take any publishing. But it doesn't sound like you were asking about distribution, just collection.

jhkulberg

Post by jhkulberg » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:30 am

Thanks again guys! I also checked with a library I have just signed with, and they recommended not to sign with services like Songtrust, but instead to make sure my PRO has systems for collecting internationally.

Best, Jan-Henrik