Something Uplifting Despite of a Devastating Return

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andersenstorm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Something Uplifting Despite of a Devastating Return

Post by andersenstorm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:51 am

Every one of us has bad days. And every one has good days.

One thing I learned these days in November 2022 was to believe in your music. Your music is not just the music you have to create to express yourself. Your music is the cultural contribution to society only you can create. If someone is appreciating it or not. Remember, even Van Gogh could sell just a few of his artworks now mio.$$ valued.

And now imagine he had destroyed and changed all the unselled masterpieces to make them sellable.

There is an analogy and, yes, it sounds a bit megalomaniac. But it is not. As an artist you create and produce your art the way it has to be. Will it be larger than life like Van Gogh's work? Who knows. The future will tell. And even the best critic doesn't know the future and the values of art in the future. That doesn't mean that every little piece has to be great someday. And there is nothing wrong with creating something for a client.

Pitching to an open listing like a Road Rally one that called for everything usable in Film & TV is fun though. And getting back a critique that is saying "Shatter it" is fun too. Seven checked boxes for a piece that had just one the last time I submitted it ("Style/Genre is off target with the listing request"), makes it something special. Who knows.

Whatever helps is good advice. On good and bad days. Don't totally revamp your music. Create something new in a different style. I'll do it.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Something Uplifting Despite of a Devastating Return

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:20 am

A return should never be " Devastating "

If you are so deeply attached to your tracks, then I suspect that writing for Sync is going to drive you to despair. There is a LOT of rejection at all junctures. Even those of us with lots of music signed to good libraries get rejected on a regular basis, it's just part of the gig that you have to be okay with.

It doesn't mean necessarily that the track you submitted sucks. It just means it's not right for what they need. Sometimes these things can tweaked and a good library will let you know what changes will make it work for them and their clients, but some will just say yes or no. Taxi is very prescriptive so if you are a little off brief they may be more inclined to reject it more than the average Library would.

Earlier this year I had two new tracks rejected by two different libraries that were running a similiar brief around the same time. No feedback, just a straight " No Thanks " within a few days of each other on both tracks that I thought were pretty good.

So I switched them around, and I sent the track they had both rejected to the other library. They each accepted the others reject with zero changes. :shock: .....one of them has been on TV now ( as have many Taxi of my return ) and I still don't know why they each rejected the other one. I took the same amount of time and care on each one and I would say they were equally as "good" as each other.

I would generally agree with you, don't make wholesale changes based on one piece of feedback - Just write more music. But I don't agree with the artist mentality. It's not Art. Sync tracks are widgets that you need to write and then forget and make another. Otherwise you'll never be able get into the mindset of working in the industry.

This explains it better: https://youtu.be/SInaooqYOQk

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:02 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:20 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
It's not Art. Sync tracks are widgets that you need to write and then forget and make another. Otherwise you'll never be able get into the m tindset of working in the industry.
I had the exact same reactions to your post. The word "devastating" stood out to me. Listings and direct library pitches involve whether or not the track is right for THAT listing, situation, or library's needs at a given time. Like Mark, I've had songs rejected by one library, only to make me good money with another one. Great songs get returned and/or rejected all the time.

And Film/TV music is not about art, as Mark said. You certainly apply your own artist's touch to things but just putting your art out there without regards to what works for today's sync opps, is not a path to success. What do the music sups/editors want on their TV shows nowadays? If your path is artist, not Film/TV composer/songwriter, that of course is different. Nothing wrong with choosing any path or target. Just be honest with yourself as to what your goals are and how you are approaching them.

Best of luck! 8-)
:D Casey

andersenstorm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by andersenstorm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:04 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
No doubt you're right, Mark. It wasn't meant that I am devastated but the Instrumental. "Too dated, dissonant and demo sounding. Needs a total revamp.", for all kind of production ever? May be I'm wrong with that and it's the worst submission I ever made. It doesn't bother me. It's a kind of honest dislike against a piece of "non-art". Whom's helped with that? The writer of the critique maybe.

The analogy to real art came to me with the different positions to that piece. Isn't it a property of art to challenge the viewer, reader, listener to a pointed statement. That's the fun in that.
If you are so deeply attached to your tracks, then I suspect that writing for Sync is going to drive you to despair. There is a LOT of rejection at all junctures. Even those of us with lots of music signed to good libraries get rejected on a regular basis, it's just part of the gig that you have to be okay with.
Absolutely true. For a couple of years I read a article to the subject developing your success by trying to be rejected more. That's why I'm here. That's the way to grow skills and find your niche. I learn a lot.
It doesn't mean necessarily that the track you submitted sucks... off brief ...
That was my point to write here. "Off brief" means it is useless as it is now. That's ok.
Earlier this year I had two new tracks rejected by two different libraries that were running a similiar brief around the same time. No feedback, just a straight " No Thanks " within a few days of each other on both tracks that I thought were pretty good.

So I switched them around, and I sent the track they had both rejected to the other library. They each accepted the others reject with zero changes. :shock: .....one of them has been on TV now ( as have many Taxi of my return ) and I still don't know why they each rejected the other one. I took the same amount of time and care on each one and I would say they were equally as "good" as each other.
Great story. Congrats.
I would generally agree with you, don't make wholesale changes based on one piece of feedback - Just write more music. But I don't agree with the artist mentality. It's not Art. Sync tracks are widgets that you need to write and then forget and make another. Otherwise you'll never be able get into the mindset of working in the industry.
I appreciate that. Thank you.

Andersen

andersenstorm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by andersenstorm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:15 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:02 am

I had the exact same reactions to your post. The word "devastating" stood out to me. Listings and direct library pitches involve whether or not the track is right for THAT listing, situation, or library's needs at a given time. Like Mark, I've had songs rejected by one library, only to make me good money with another one. Great songs get returned and/or rejected all the time.
Agree with you, Casey.
And Film/TV music is not about art... Just be honest with yourself as to what your goals are and how you are approaching them.
Thank you! I try to be rejected more to write and produce better music as an artist and as an artisan. But you are right I have to separate this well.

Andersen

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:15 pm

Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

andersenstorm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by andersenstorm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:02 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:15 pm
So I guess you read this...
https://www.taxi.com/transmitter/2211/u ... loch-lcsw/
Great article, love the cites. Got this by eMail in the evening. Thanks.