First forwards - now what happens?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

skevvya

First forwards - now what happens?

Post by skevvya » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:02 am

Help! Really excited, managed to get a couple of forwards but....now what happens?

Do I need to log the tunes with my PRO? Do the libraries contact me if they decide to take the tune on for their books or only if they actually use it? Presumably just because it got forwarded on doesn't mean it'll get used? What's everyone else's experience of the post-forwarding part of the process?

I'm happy to do the whole 'write, submit, forget, repeat' thing but want to check that there's nothing else I should be doing before forgetting about them!

Thanks in advance all - nice to know there's a community of us supporting each other. Suddenly not feeling alone - thank you TAXI!

Cheers,

Alex

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: First forwards - now what happens?

Post by superkons » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:17 am

skevvya wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:02 am
Help! Really excited, managed to get a couple of forwards but....now what happens?

Do I need to log the tunes with my PRO? Do the libraries contact me if they decide to take the tune on for their books or only if they actually use it? Presumably just because it got forwarded on doesn't mean it'll get used? What's everyone else's experience of the post-forwarding part of the process?

I'm happy to do the whole 'write, submit, forget, repeat' thing but want to check that there's nothing else I should be doing before forgetting about them!

Thanks in advance all - nice to know there's a community of us supporting each other. Suddenly not feeling alone - thank you TAXI!

Cheers,

Alex
Now you just keep writing new music and submit it, forget about it, and repeat the process :)

If a library emails you with a deal and you decide to accept it, they will register your tunes for you themselves, unless they specify otherwise (uncommon)
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

GCampbell

Post by GCampbell » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:23 am

Congrats! I can only speak for myself, but probably about half of my forwards have resulted in deals. Sometimes I'll get 3 forwards and the library will get in touch only wanting to sign 1. Sometimes I'll get 3 forwards and the library will get in touch wondering if I can do a whole album for them. And sometimes, crickets. In most cases I've found the libraries will get in touch pretty soon after the forward, but I think heard Michael mention on Taxi TV some tracks being signed 7 years after the forward, so you never know! I'm doing instrumental cues, not sure if the experience is different for songs.

Don't register your tracks with a PRO, the library will do that if they decide to sign your tracks. Good luck!

skevvya

Post by skevvya » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:39 am

Thanks for replying guys, much appreciated. Will sit tight and forget about them :-) Congrats on your forwards and successes too! Onwards!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:01 am

GCampbell wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:23 am
Congrats! I can only speak for myself, but probably about half of my forwards have resulted in deals.
Impressive!! 8-) :mrgreen: That's an incredibly good percentage of contacts from forwards. Your tracks must be excellent. :D

Casey

TimHarrison
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TimHarrison » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:07 am

skevvya wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:02 am

Cheers,

Alex
Congrats on the forwards! As others have said, no need to register with your Pro as the libraries prefer to do that themselves. In my experience, if they are interested they are pretty quick to contact you but it isn't always the case as it can take longer. Make sure you've backed up your tracks and project files. They will often ask for stems (submixes) of your tracks and possibly alternative versions. They usually ask for more tracks in the same style too. Best regards Tim Harrison

skevvya

Post by skevvya » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:26 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply and give advice all, much appreciated.
A

GCampbell

Post by GCampbell » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:50 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:01 am
GCampbell wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:23 am
Congrats! I can only speak for myself, but probably about half of my forwards have resulted in deals.
Impressive!! 8-) :mrgreen: That's an incredibly good percentage of contacts from forwards. Your tracks must be excellent. :D

Casey
Thanks, I think it's also because I've only been submitting to listings that I know I can knock out of the park. Eventually I'll try some new genres, and I suspect my fowards/deals record won't be quite as strong!

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:55 am

Hey Alex, now what happens is that you get back in the studio and write more music.

~~Matt

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:53 am

Congrats, Alex! Exciting and should probably inspire you to work even harder for the next one. Right? Keep it up my friend!
Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers