We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Feedback request for POP/ROCK Cue

Post by BrentI » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:01 pm

Hey everyone!

I know I'm kinda late with this request, but I'd love some feedback on ways I could improve this cue before tomorrow's deadline. Thanks so much for listening!

https://www.taxi.com/members/KWQ2l_pFSJ ... p-material

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A LOT of MODERN POP/ROCK INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

They're on the hunt for LOTS of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"good 4 u" by Olivia Rodrigo - https://youtu.be/aeDdS9aIpck

"she's all i wanna be" by Tate McRae - https://youtu.be/lt9RmG4uq8U

"How Do You Love Somebody" by Why Don't We - https://youtu.be/wb1wuNuyujk

"Speed" by FITZ - https://youtu.be/RR-K_4dos1w

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Please submit current-sounding Pop/Rock Instrumentals (or Cues) that are bursting with tons of great energy. Your submissions should have driving guitars, energetic rhythms, catchy motifs, and plenty of mainstream appeal. Your instrumentation and arrangements should fall in the general ballpark of the references – and please lean more on the Pop side of the spectrum, rather than Rock, for this pitch. We recommend crafting your pieces around a central theme and layering instrumentation in and out as they progress to create dynamics, interest, and forward motion. Please be sure your production and any virtual sounds or samples you use are high-quality and cutting-edge.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Feedback request for POP/ROCK Cue

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:24 pm

Hey Brent -- cool piece! I like the drive and energy and how you created variation and interest along the way. My two cents would be to consider adding a tight button ending on the A minor chord to give it a sense of resolution. Hope that helps! Nice work and good luck, Doug

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:08 pm

Brent,
I didn't study each reference in depth. Perhaps there are keys featured more in breakdowns that happen later in the references. So, toss the feedback aside if you have thoughtfully added those keys at the start to be more like some section of the references.

Anyhow, with that said, none of the references start with keys. They are all a little gritty - palm mutey at their starts (the Rodrigo less so - but still pretty cool borderline gritty bass).

Anyhow, I worry that starting with the keys - especially as they sound a little 80's might be a mistake. I wonder if you converted that keyboard part and played it on the bass and strove for that Rodrigo tone . . . would it help?

Just a thought.

Standard Johnny Caveat - NOT an expert - just trying to do my part to help the boards be better.

Best wishes,
Johnny

MartyZ

Post by MartyZ » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:09 pm

BrentI wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:01 pm
Hey everyone!

I know I'm kinda late with this request, but I'd love some feedback on ways I could improve this cue before tomorrow's deadline. Thanks so much for listening!

https://www.taxi.com/members/KWQ2l_pFSJ ... p-material

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A LOT of MODERN POP/ROCK INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

They're on the hunt for LOTS of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"good 4 u" by Olivia Rodrigo - https://youtu.be/aeDdS9aIpck

"she's all i wanna be" by Tate McRae - https://youtu.be/lt9RmG4uq8U

"How Do You Love Somebody" by Why Don't We - https://youtu.be/wb1wuNuyujk

"Speed" by FITZ - https://youtu.be/RR-K_4dos1w

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Please submit current-sounding Pop/Rock Instrumentals (or Cues) that are bursting with tons of great energy. Your submissions should have driving guitars, energetic rhythms, catchy motifs, and plenty of mainstream appeal. Your instrumentation and arrangements should fall in the general ballpark of the references – and please lean more on the Pop side of the spectrum, rather than Rock, for this pitch. We recommend crafting your pieces around a central theme and layering instrumentation in and out as they progress to create dynamics, interest, and forward motion. Please be sure your production and any virtual sounds or samples you use are high-quality and cutting-edge.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Brent, I think this cue is fantastic and I felt that it had forward momentum

I may add a half time drum section at the end just for a scene change but that's me

I think you can confidently submit and fingers crossed you get the forward!

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:23 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:24 pm
Hey Brent -- cool piece! I like the drive and energy and how you created variation and interest along the way. My two cents would be to consider adding a tight button ending on the A minor chord to give it a sense of resolution. Hope that helps! Nice work and good luck, Doug
Thanks Doug! The ending bothered me, so I appreciate you addressing that. I re-worked it to give it more finality!

Best wishes with your submissions!

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:26 pm

johnnyrowing wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:08 pm
Brent,
I didn't study each reference in depth. Perhaps there are keys featured more in breakdowns that happen later in the references. So, toss the feedback aside if you have thoughtfully added those keys at the start to be more like some section of the references.

Anyhow, with that said, none of the references start with keys. They are all a little gritty - palm mutey at their starts (the Rodrigo less so - but still pretty cool borderline gritty bass).

Anyhow, I worry that starting with the keys - especially as they sound a little 80's might be a mistake. I wonder if you converted that keyboard part and played it on the bass and strove for that Rodrigo tone . . . would it help?

Just a thought.

Standard Johnny Caveat - NOT an expert - just trying to do my part to help the boards be better.

Best wishes,
Johnny
Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply Johnny. You brought up some really good points.

I decided to skip the intro and just start with the riser to get right into it. Hope that makes it more consistent with the references.

Thanks again!

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:28 pm

MartyZ wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:09 pm

I may add a half time drum section at the end just for a scene change but that's me

Thanks for that encouragement Marty! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and give some input!

MartyZ

Post by MartyZ » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:42 pm

BrentI wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:28 pm
MartyZ wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:09 pm

Thanks for that encouragement Marty! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and give some input!
Rock on! :D

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:28 am

BrentI wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:26 pm
johnnyrowing wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:08 pm
Brent,

Just a thought.

Best wishes,
Johnny
Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply Johnny. You brought up some really good points.

I decided to skip the intro and just start with the riser to get right into it. Hope that makes it more consistent with the references.

Thanks again!
Thanks for the affirmation, Brent. I want to try to be a positive presence on the forums. So, I'm trying to post. :) With that said, I always go through a little "Will this post be offensive? Am I wrong? Will I steer someone in the wrong direction?" Ha! It's silly but I spend far too much time in post-reply anxiety. Anyhow, it's cool of you to share your reaction to the feedback. I hope you get a forward and find much success - either now or soon.

:)

Johnny