Country feedback

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SusanAnnNorberg
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Country feedback

Post by SusanAnnNorberg » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:22 am

Could someone explain to me what makes this song sound dated. My feedback was that it was not accepted because it sounded like 80s country. What makes this not sound contemporary?

https://youtu.be/mrl4rr5VTlA

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Country feedback

Post by jdstamper » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:53 pm

I think it's an original idea and has a nice vibe, the video is nice too. As far as being dated, I can't put my finger on it but it does sound a little like Martina McBride in the 80's (she's great!)

So just my opinion here, but these are some thoughts ...

I don't know if the idea is very marketable, I don't quite get it. Does she expect the guy to be her religious savior, or does he try to portray himself that way, or is the song about his hypocrisy ... what he says vs what he does?

The chorus could use more variation to set it apart from the verse ... it seems kind of in the same range musically, it doesn't lift up enough from the verses.

Also the chorus has too many words - so the phrasing is awkward to squeeze them all in, I think the idea of the chorus doesn't come through as strong as it could, its hard to imagine an audience could easily sing along. I think a lot of the chorus lyrics are more like another verse.

I think the chorus should be a lot simpler, something more like this ...

You could walk on water
You could part the sea
You could raise the dead
But you can't save yourself
And you'll never be a savior to me

Musically and production-wise I don't hear much variation between the sections, and not much build or arc from beginning to end.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

SusanAnnNorberg
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SusanAnnNorberg » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:41 pm

Wow… Thanks for the feedback. This was the first song I wrote. (I do enjoy making little movies which may help explain storytelling aspect). But you are right it is difficult to place. I was just trying to figure out if there was a specific aspect that made it sound 80's, besides the fact that I'm old. LOL

Good info about the choruses being too long. I will keep note of that. I think that maybe I've done that in other songs also.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:42 pm

It looks like you may have had this done at a Nashville demo studio, maybe they could give you some ideas about whether its dated, and what to change.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

SusanAnnNorberg
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SusanAnnNorberg » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:00 am

Well, it makes sense that it would sound like something from the 80s. I described that I wanted a female singer with the emotion of the song to think of Carrie Underwood's "before he cheats". I am happy with the song I just am not good at figuring out all of these many genres. They don't all sound very different to me. just trying to pin down what exactly the difference is in today's contemporary country music.

(Thanks for the tip on the choruses. Looking at some other songs of mine I think I do tend to drag them out)

SusanAnnNorberg
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SusanAnnNorberg » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:07 am

PS... In regards to what it's about… It's just a song about a breakup

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:34 pm

For one, you need to take every Taxi review with a grain of salt. Truthfully, it sounds more 90's to me - I have no idea where the 80's comes from. I would say it's the drums that make it so. Modern country music spends a lot of time focusing on drums and adding layers under them to make them sound current. FWIW, the vocalist sounds current to me (or at least mature current).