Vintage Samplers vs. Virtual Instruments

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

FredGuggenberger

Vintage Samplers vs. Virtual Instruments

Post by FredGuggenberger » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:34 am

Hi guys,

A few days ago, I blew the dust from my old E-MU Samplers and went thru some sounds.

Compared with today's software instruments there was some interesting difference (at least, I thought, I could hear a difference...)

General speaking, it all sounded warmer, more punchy and more ... "three dimensional" ... I thought about the word "premixed..."

I also tried some piano samples (8 Megabytes... those were the days, haha) and... the pianos in my plug-ins sound way more "real". But the pianos in my E-MU sounded more exciting. Maybe not the right stuff to record a piece of classical music, but still... exciting. I couldn´t stop playing and after a few minutes, I had a new piece of piano music written. Just because it felt so good to play with that sound.

I read so much about taking care of using actual orchestra libraries because they sound so much more like a real orchestra and I understand how important that is.

But I am wondering, how libraries and music supervisors would react to a piece of piano music, that is not sounding 100 % perfectly real, but 100 % great ...

Does anybody has experiences with that topic? I would love to hear your thoughts. I am fully aware, that I am maybe fooling myself and it´s all based on some feeling of "coming home" by playing with equipment from yester-yester-yesterday...

Best wishes:
Fred