Impressive
Impressive

Physically playable Orchestral or Piano vs. Imaginary Orchestral or Piano

Post by superblonde » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:27 pm

In Orchestral-style Cue Listings which request one of these instrumentations,

SOLO PIANO

PIANO

PIANO AND STRINGS

I have heard forwards which achieve building dynamics by incorporating what seems like imaginary (i.e. physically impossible or highly unlikely) elements such as a string ensemble which suddenly grows a second or third cello, or 3 or 4 violinists, or a Solo Piano track which, in the second half of the track, suddenly grows a second piano (or a third arm for the player).

I have been interpreting Listings for SOLO PIANO as being "One and Only One Piano played by One Performer" (not "DOUBLE PIANO" or "PIANO DUET") and Listings for "PIANO AND STRINGS" to be a typical string ensemble (3, 4, or 5 players in standard, real-life configuration). I have been interpreting "PIANO" by itself to additionally mean "Solo PIANO".

Based on past forwards, this does not seem to hold, and imaginary ensembles, impossible-to-play piano, seems to be acceptable?

Current listings where this applies are S230206PX, S230207RG.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Physically playable Orchestral or Piano vs. Imaginary Orchestral or Piano

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:53 am

Yeha they don't tend to mean just a piano player playing one piano

They mean that piano is the only instrument even if playing something physically impossible for those of you just the two hands.