Correct copyright/PRO registration procedure for a forward

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jupooka

Correct copyright/PRO registration procedure for a forward

Post by jupooka » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:13 am

Hello All,

I've only been a member for less than a year and I haven't actually had a forward yet, but trying to be prepared (and remain optimistic, although it is difficult at times) for the day that one does occur.

Do I (or should I) need to register the cue with the Library of Congress before or after a forward? Additionally, given that in most cases the cue will be split with the library getting 100% of the publishing, should I register the writer component immediately with ASCAP or wait until a forward happens, or is this something the library would take care of on their end?

Apologies if these are really newbie questions, but if I do eventually get a green light, I want to be ready to move forward quickly.

Thank you for your consideration!

JC

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Correct copyright/PRO registration procedure for a forward

Post by AlanHall » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:15 am

Welcome to the forum, and good foresight to be asking questions here.

Step one: Join a PRO, find both your member number and your IPI number (this second is a bit tricky!)

Step two: you're done! Do not register your cue with your PRO as this will make it hard for any library to make their registration. They will register on your behalf, or will give you the greenlight to register at that time.

LOC? I've registered a couple albums worth of material in the past, but will not bother with sync cues. You will go broke very fast paying USD35 (I think that's what it is now) per cue to register, when the lifetime earnings per cue (on average) may be less than that.

You may find this topic discussed if you search for a few of the keywords involved. I did not do that search, but have read a few threads on this subject ;)

More experienced members will chime in.

jupooka

Re: Correct copyright/PRO registration procedure for a forward

Post by jupooka » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:14 am

Thank you, this is very helpful!