2023 - Music and AI

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

2023 - Music and AI

Post by shoodBworkin » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:28 am

"In October 2022, the American music industry organization RIAA issued a warning about the new generation of AI tools. . . . "
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2023-mus ... -johansson

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 2023 - Music and AI

Post by Paulie » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:48 pm

Those that do not take AI seriously will suffer... I've been saying for a while that AI will significantly impact the music industry. And, the more utilitarian/formulaic your preferred genres are, the faster they can be replaced. Think tension, drones, beats, solo piano... and we are just at the dawn of this new movement. Technology WILL advance to the point where many of us will find our skills rendered non-monetizable.

For example, this spoof Eminem rap was created by AI. (Not safe for work or children). The lyrics were AI generated, and the voice was voice synthesized. So, what do we do? Figure out how to become part of the AI movement instead of being replaced by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vamem25U1fY
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:15 pm

Wow 😮 okeeee!!!😳
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:48 am

It is scarily close to Eminem's timbre! :o

On one hand I ask: Since music for film/tv requires a degree of simplicity aren't we one of the first bunch to be replaced?

On the other hand with a glass half full, I have to remind myself that back when recording technology became available, musicians were terrified that they won't be needed to perform anymore * but look at where we are now. Live music is for the most part one of the major income streams for artists, small and big, with "records" essentially serving as a calling card for the live experience.

Eh who knows? :? It is definitely scary and as Paulie said one has to be somewhat prepared to adapt for sure.

(* Interesting article re the above: https://timeline.com/live-musicians-wer ... 3b6af16944)

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shoodBworkin » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:25 am

Kinda off topic, but some of you old guys may remember this from 1980: "No one is certain how much home taping costs the record industry in unpaid royalties and unsold albums, but one recent study hints at a 15-percent figure -- which translates to $550 million to $600 million a year in the United States alone. Not surprisingly, the record industry is attacking on several fronts. Elektra Asylum president Joe Smith, in a recent letter to the indsutry, called home taping of music "the most dangerous threat thus far to our well-being." In particular, he cited the practice of taping albums played without commercial interruption over the radio . . . The scope of the taping problem has generated talk of levies on blank tape -- or even license fees for home tapers -- to compensate artists, composers, publishers, jacket manufacturers, retailers, record companies and distributors for lost royalties. " Progress is as progress does ;)
The Record Industry Goes To War On Home Taping

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shoodBworkin » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:10 am

LeatherMolecules

Post by LeatherMolecules » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:28 am

A bit different of a different execution than what you’re talking about, but Landr is a pretty cool use of AI in the music industry in my opinion. If you’re not familiar with it, they use AI for on demand mastering. You pay a pretty small yearly fee and get access to unlimited mastering. It’s not the most advanced thing in the world, but I’ve been happy with it so far. You basically upload your tracks, and it detects some basic info about the musical style etc and then gives you a few options and exports a master within a few minutes.

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shoodBworkin » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:24 am

"So far, our mind children, as the roboticist Hans Moravec called our artificially intelligent offspring, are in the toddler phase, as we ooh and aah at the novelty of our creation. They’re headed for the rebellious teenage phase. When A.I. hurtles into adulthood and isn’t so artificial anymore, we’ll be relegated to being the family pets, as a resigned Steve Wozniak put it . . . "
A.I.: Actually Insipid Until It’s Actively Insidious

PaulFisk

Post by PaulFisk » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:19 am

Paulie wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:48 pm
Those that do not take AI seriously will suffer... I've been saying for a while that AI will significantly impact the music industry. And, the more utilitarian/formulaic your preferred genres are, the faster they can be replaced. Think tension, drones, beats, solo piano... and we are just at the dawn of this new movement. Technology WILL advance to the point where many of us will find our skills rendered non-monetizable.

For example, this spoof Eminem rap was created by AI. (Not safe for work or children). The lyrics were AI generated, and the voice was voice synthesized. So, what do we do? Figure out how to become part of the AI movement instead of being replaced by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vamem25U1fY
It's impressive, but it's certainly not going to be replacing anything anytime soon. 10 years, maybe, but these lyrics are kind of dumb. They nailed the timbre of Eminem's voice though. Pretty cool.

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 pm

I'm sure we all know who will be affected by this (one finger loop/drone producers). I think any creative content with a human element will never die. after all, it will be us who will consume such products (same humans who appreciate and idolize art from other humans). even with all the advancements in food tech with fast food and frozen dinners, organic foods are still in demand even more so than ever before. i think there will be a place for both to coexist and thrive.

Eventually the amazement with a perfect polished track from AI will soon lose its mystique (like autotune circa 00's), and the imperfections and rawness of timeless organic music from skilled musicians and writers will eventually find a resurgence in the future (maybe even with youtubers, after they have downloaded their 1 millionth AI track).

there will always be doom and gloom events, and there will also be folks who wont be fazed by it. as for the rest . . . maybe its time to stop relying on those chord progression midi packs, start improving your skills within your chosen craft, and create ideas from scratch.