Exclusive what ? music ? Arrangement or master ?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

YvesRuhlmann

Exclusive what ? music ? Arrangement or master ?

Post by YvesRuhlmann » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:13 pm

Hello everybody,
I am new and french.

What has to be exclusive ? are we speaking the music ? like te music, the melody and harmony ? or are we speaking about an originale arrangement, or about the sound recording ?

If i write a piece, and i create different arrangment for this piece, and these arrangement have differents master or interpretations, what has to be exclusive reguarding a library ?

For example, if i write a solo vilin and piano music that a library wants to sign me, and if i have an other version of that title lets say for only chamber strings, can i submit this new one to an other library, or everything that is arround the original compostion has to be exclusive ?

I hope my question is understandable !

So please to be a part of the member team !

Yves

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Exclusive what ? music ? Arrangement or master ?

Post by mteezykeys » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:34 am

Exclusive refers to the contract with that music library/publishing company. If they accept that track into their library, they want the exclusive publishing rights for that particular track.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:35 pm

* not a music lawyer *
I'd think giving a library exclusive rights would apply to any derivative works, including arrangements.

YvesRuhlmann

Post by YvesRuhlmann » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:38 pm

mteezykeys wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:34 am
Exclusive refers to the contract with that music library/publishing company. If they accept that track into their library, they want the exclusive publishing rights for that particular track.
Thank you very much so if I understand well your answer, a different track with a different arrangement is not a problem. Thank you for your answer!

YvesRuhlmann

Post by YvesRuhlmann » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:41 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:35 pm
* not a music lawyer *
I'd think giving a library exclusive rights would apply to any derivative works, including arrangements.
Thank you very much for your answer it’s helping me so much, even if I have to different answer here in the forum, hope that some else will give me further informations. Thank you so much for your answer Alan

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:06 pm

YvesRuhlmann wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:38 pm
mteezykeys wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:34 am
Thank you very much so if I understand well your answer, a different track with a different arrangement is not a problem. Thank you for your answer!
No. When you sign an exclusive library contract, it is exclusive to both the composition and the master recording. That covers other arrangements using the same material.