We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Piano sound opinion

Post by tpwmusic » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for opinions on this piano sound please. I've got an arsenal of piano sounds ranging from various virtual instruments, romplers and the real thing.

This particular sound is from Spectrasonics Keyscape.

https://www.taxi.com/members/k42FZOv_Sp ... ddoQ-padua

I have had a few returns lately where the screener has commented that I could have used a better piano sound, so I'm just trying to work on that and use the best, most realistic sound I have available.

Thanks in advance.
Glenn

ballereau
Active
Active

Re: Piano sound opinion

Post by ballereau » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:24 pm

Hi,

Seems like the attacks on notes are very hard. I think Keyscape is great. Maybe lower the velocity on certain notes or overall will give a more realist sound
Best

Larry

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:15 pm

ballereau wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:24 pm
Hi,

Seems like the attacks on notes are very hard. I think Keyscape is great. Maybe lower the velocity on certain notes or overall will give a more realist sound
Best

Larry
Thanks Larry....I appreciate your time, and I will take a look at what you suggested.

RobertElse
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RobertElse » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:41 pm

Glenn - I agree with Larry in that the attacks pop out as a bit harsh, mostly the right hand, more-so the higher you go, and distract from the other nice things you are doing in the track.

One thing you could do is look the velocities in your DAW, and reduce the high points, or even try reducing the velocities over all. It may seem tedious but personally I find it pays off to experiment with that. Or maybe just try a different velocity curve in the plug-in, or a different piano altogether.

I made a session in my DAW where I have a track for each of my (many) pianos, so I can go track-by-track and compare the sounds - then I get a better feel for the overall landscape of what I have available, and can make a better choice for a given listing, or a given target sound I am going for (usually the refence tracks for a listing).

Another suggestion, perhaps most important: when you get a return, go to the "Forwards Blog" (I think it's called) and listen carefully to the piano sounds in tracks that got forwarded for that listing, and compare to your own, and be very detailed about what is different. Lately, I have tried to imitate specific piano sounds I really like in various solo-piano tracks (e.g. "Dawn" by Dario Marianelli, from the "Pride and Prejudice" soundtrack); I have found it really sharpens my ears.

Best wishes and good luck! You are on the right track!
Robert

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:18 am

RobertElse wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:41 pm
Glenn - I agree with Larry in that the attacks pop out as a bit harsh, mostly the right hand, more-so the higher you go, and distract from the other nice things you are doing in the track.

One thing you could do is look the velocities in your DAW, and reduce the high points, or even try reducing the velocities over all. It may seem tedious but personally I find it pays off to experiment with that. Or maybe just try a different velocity curve in the plug-in, or a different piano altogether.

I made a session in my DAW where I have a track for each of my (many) pianos, so I can go track-by-track and compare the sounds - then I get a better feel for the overall landscape of what I have available, and can make a better choice for a given listing, or a given target sound I am going for (usually the refence tracks for a listing).

Another suggestion, perhaps most important: when you get a return, go to the "Forwards Blog" (I think it's called) and listen carefully to the piano sounds in tracks that got forwarded for that listing, and compare to your own, and be very detailed about what is different. Lately, I have tried to imitate specific piano sounds I really like in various solo-piano tracks (e.g. "Dawn" by Dario Marianelli, from the "Pride and Prejudice" soundtrack); I have found it really sharpens my ears.

Best wishes and good luck! You are on the right track!
Robert
Thanks for a great reply Robert. Your advice is much appreciated and you've given me some very good tips.

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:37 pm

I've made some tweaks to this, and hopefully made it a bit better. Feedback would be much appreciated.

https://www.taxi.com/members/k42FZOv_Sp ... xkVA-padua

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MJLeeman » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:52 am

For what it's worth, and as a general comment on piano vsts and plugins, I got a tip from a mixing instructor during a course which I took last year. I have taken up his suggestion in my music as a starting point for a reliable piano sound for music created in the box, in a variety of styles.

The vst is Noire piano, loaded via kontakt/native instruments, the basic so-called "Noire Pure" preset. The first thing is to work out and set your own velocity response for this instrument in your midi keyboard, if necessary/applicable. Then add any basic/standard piano type eq preset, maybe with a boost in the low/mid treble range (around 2K?).

The next step is to use a particular Waves compression plugin, namely Waves SSLComp Stereo, and engage the preset named 'Steve Lillywhite piano', and adjust this to taste. The instructor pointed out that, even though that particular waves plugin is generally intended as a master bus compressor, it works on a track/individual instrument in this instance.

Maybe give this a try to see if it is helpful.

Cheers
Michael

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:47 pm

MJLeeman wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:52 am
For what it's worth, and as a general comment on piano vsts and plugins, I got a tip from a mixing instructor during a course which I took last year. I have taken up his suggestion in my music as a starting point for a reliable piano sound for music created in the box, in a variety of styles.

The vst is Noire piano, loaded via kontakt/native instruments, the basic so-called "Noire Pure" preset. The first thing is to work out and set your own velocity response for this instrument in your midi keyboard, if necessary/applicable. Then add any basic/standard piano type eq preset, maybe with a boost in the low/mid treble range (around 2K?).

The next step is to use a particular Waves compression plugin, namely Waves SSLComp Stereo, and engage the preset named 'Steve Lillywhite piano', and adjust this to taste. The instructor pointed out that, even though that particular waves plugin is generally intended as a master bus compressor, it works on a track/individual instrument in this instance.

Maybe give this a try to see if it is helpful.

Cheers
Michael
Thanks for the information Michael.