Library slow with contract

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CamH132

Library slow with contract

Post by CamH132 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:24 am

Hi guys, just had a couple questions about signing my first contract with a new library.

A library liked a couple of songs that I submitted to a taxi listing and asked if I could write them a full album in that style.
They sent me a sample version of their contract agreement to have a read over while finishing the extra tracks and once everything was done they asked for all of my details so that they could write up the proper contract.

The deadline for the album is coming up and they still haven't sent me the finalised contract to sign. Is it risky to send them all of the files for the album before signing the contract or should I still send the album before the deadline and then sign the contract later?

As this is my first proper library contract that I'm signing, I'm also wondering if this contract covers all of the music I send them in the future or if I have to sign a new contract for every album of mine that they release?

They've asked me to write a couple more albums in similar styles and just wasn't sure if I will need to sign a contract for each one, or if I'm sweet to just keep sending them music (which they've asked for) once I've signed the initial contract agreement?

Cheers!
Cameron

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Library slow with contract

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:26 am

No legal advice implied here, but just a few points to consider ....
- Taxi 'vets' libraries before running listings for them, so that's a pretty good indicator that they're 'legit'.
- You know who they are you can go to their website and judge for yourself whether they've got a massive catalogue, a show-reel of recent placements, and maybe even a writer's roster, all of which are good indicators that they're busy doing business with a lot of people at a high level.
- If the deadline for the album they asked you to write is coming up, how do they know you're going to deliver or what you're going to deliver? If you don't deliver then they might consider that the contract would be a waste of time. However, there's nothing to stop you asking them when you should expect the contract, and to re-assure them that your work is on its way to them soon. [Check your spam folder first though, just in case they've already sent it!]
- Many contracts no longer include track details. Instead they refer to a separate document (often called a Schedule A) that lists track details. You've seen a sample of their contract so you should know what it contains. That way, there's only one contract to sign, and occasionally you might be asked to update the Schedule A if they accept more.
- If the library want to prep a document package for you to sign that includes all of your track names, they wouldn't be able to do that until you've at least told them all the tracks names.
- Finally, until you sign to say that you've given a library permission to publish your tracks they remain yours. In that case there should be no risk.

All libraries are different and have different docs and admin procedures, so its not easy to say exactly what you should expect. There's nothing wrong with asking them questions to make sure you thoroughly understand what they want, as long as you're asking about specific details not for general education. They might be your only library, but remember that they're dealing with loads (maybe many hundreds) of writers and also all of their clients too.

Good luck with the albums, and in forging a great working relationship with a library that seems to like your music.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:03 pm

No legal advice here, just my opinion ...

What I would do is to research the library on your own to make sure they have a solid reputation. You should do this with any library before you sign.

If this is a brand new library with no track record, you may be able to research the principle people standing behind the library.

Some libraries might feel there's no need to finalize a contract prior to having the tracks ready. I imagine sometimes libraries put good faith effort into finalizing an agreement and never receive tracks they want to sign.

Based on my experience I wouldn't expect much risk in sending your tracks, because without a signed contract, they have no right to do anything with them. It works both ways.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

CamH132

Post by CamH132 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:57 am

Thanks guys. Very good advice.

A lot of what you said reaffirms what I was thinking about the situation, so it's good to hear that from people with much more experience than myself.

Appreciate it!