what's next

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Nick1970

what's next

Post by Nick1970 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:45 am

I am new to Taxi. I uploaded 3 songs for consideration, into 3 categories. Under pending, it shows some of them as "edit". What does that mean? Why do some say "edit" and some do not. Also, I'm not looking to be a recording star myself. I want to get my songs in front of established stars for consideration, or a well established producer to work with a star to record it. My demos are just to shoe the potential. Does TAXI do this or am I wasting everyone's time?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: what's next

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:17 pm

Most listings are from music libraries seeking finished tracks/songs that are ready to broadcast, and certainly not demos. Occasionally, you might see a listing for an artist looking for songs, but even then your 'demo' needs to be as good as radio-ready because you'll be in competition with top writers and producers who can do that. 'Potential' is in the eye of the beholder, so you might as well aim to put it beyond any doubt :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:15 am

When the edit link goes away, no more changes (re-uploading new audio) are permitted for the particular submission which generally means the screening process has begun. Screening may start before the deadline but results are not sent out until all submissions have been screened.

As Graham said, it's near impossible to pitch a song without what is called a "broadcast quality" recording. For Film/TV, it's all about the "as is" recording. To pitch songs to artists, you almost always need a similar quality demo that really shows of the song. Folks like yourself who can't do it on their own often go to demo recording studios and pay in the order of $750-$1500 for a demo. If you go that route, keep in mind that odds of ever making that money back are VERY, VERY small. So if you do it, do it for the pleasure & pride of hearing your song professionally done and seeking the dream. If you want more info on that feel free to PM me.

IMPORTANT: Do not pay for a demo unless you've gotten song pro critiques of the song itself-- lyrics, melody, hook, marketability, etc. Many folks jump to get a great demo of a not-so-great song. There are many pro-critique services (Jason Blume and others) but Taxi's custom critique is one of the best and only $20. Make sure you say in your request what your goal for the song is and include a list of questions.

HTH
:D Casey

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:01 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:17 pm
Most listings are from music libraries seeking finished tracks/songs that are ready to broadcast, and certainly not demos. Occasionally, you might see a listing for an artist looking for songs, but even then your 'demo' needs to be as good as radio-ready because you'll be in competition with top writers and producers who can do that. 'Potential' is in the eye of the beholder, so you might as well aim to put it beyond any doubt :).
this just answer some of the questions I have had. Thanks man!! Good insight. I been focusing on structure and the songwriting. I just recently started making more extravagant demos. More like something I would release.