Is this becoming a problem?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Is this becoming a problem?

Post by mkirbymusic » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:07 am

Edit: This is purely out of curiosity because I have chatted with a few younger producers who are wondering why they haven’t heard back after submitting to over 100 libraries. Then when I ask them to send me the playlist that they submitted it’s 4 beats, with producer tags, all different styles, and not structured for sync.

I am curious if anyone has heard through the grapevine about some music libraries receiving an influx of submissions from music producers who generally associate with the Beatmaker niche.

Over the last 2 years, I would say there has been an increase in sync licensing content reaching a younger audience. I know this because I am one of the creators doing so. However, a lot of the people engaging with this content seem to think that it should be common practice for a composer to share which libraries they work with publicly, and if you don't, then you are gatekeeping.

Some creators list libraries to submit to in their content and teach that once you have 5 well-structured tracks in your strongest genre, you should start submitting to 3-5 LIBRARIES A DAY until you hear back from one.

I haven't been active here in a while, so I'm unsure if any of this has been discussed on the forums recently. Would love to hear some thoughts!
Last edited by mkirbymusic on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is this becoming a problem?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:30 am

I don't see it as a problem. Beatmakers are not my competition, I am.

I don't see any issue with sharing names of Libraries and Publishers either, they are all on Google FFS it's not hard to find them. They are not hidden. Not sure why some of these chat rooms have a stick up their ass about it either. Sure...I understand it makes sense for Taxi not to spill the listing parties details otherwsie Forwardees would be on their case but I see no good reason for that to carry over into other communities. I also see no issue with people who prefer to keep the info to themselves. It's down to the individual.

As for the Beatmakers, the esteemed Mr Laskow is fond of saying...the best way to get into a library or publisher is directly ....Taxi is just a secondary option if you're not inclined to do the legwork on your own. If you have got the time , talent and inclination then why shouldn't you. That counts for any genre really not just Hip Hop beats. The market will decided if that's a path to success or not. Not you, I or Michael.

Mrak

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:05 pm

This is good news to me, because being a beatmaker is an awesome thing.

BTW, I have a long list of music libraries for people to contact. PM me, bro!

PeteCrane
Active
Active

Post by PeteCrane » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:53 pm

I saw some interesting content yesterday about making money from music libraries. It seems there are a lot of libraries that cater more for YouTubers via blanket deals, and these libraries are very receptive to open submissions from composers. While some composers have had some success with these libraries, they still aspire to being able to publish tracks in exclusive Production Music Libraries with clientele in TV/Film/Games/Trailers.

So I can imagine a lot of YouTubers and influencers encouraging young composers to smash together some beats quickly and submit them to these more open libraries en masse. I imagine these influencers are probably also likely to try to sell you a course on "How to make money as a musician" and ask you to subscribe to their Patreon while having very few tracks published themselves.

On the other side of the spectrum, aiming for exclusive Production Music Libraries has a higher barrier to entry and the potential for higher-profile placements, where background-style beats and non cue-structured compositions wouldn't make the grade. Most often, these types of libraries don't have a submission form on their website and wouldn't be receptive to unsolicited demos, so sharing the names of these libraries would be pointless anyway.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:17 pm

Part of the issue is that quality music creation tools are abundant and often free. This means that there are more people trying to make music than ever. And a whole lot of it is absolute crap. So, combine that with the general entitlement mindset so common in the younger population today, combined with their expectation that they can't be told their music stinks... I WELCOME their active pitches to libraries. Keep doing it... because your amateur hour b.s. makes ME look good by comparison. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:17 pm

Part of the issue is that quality music creation tools are abundant and often free. This means that there are more people trying to make music than ever. And a whole lot of it is absolute crap. So, combine that with the general entitlement mindset so common in the younger population today, combined with their expectation that they can't be told their music stinks... I WELCOME their active pitches to libraries. Keep doing it... because your amateur hour b.s. makes ME look good by comparison. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic