Staying with TAXI for a 4th Year

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

alywat

Staying with TAXI for a 4th Year

Post by alywat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:02 pm

Hello Michael Laskow, fellow Taxi members, and Taxi crew,

I know I've been MIA for a while now, hardly showing up to TAXI TV broadcasts live or participating in the Forums much at all these days. Honestly I've been depressed, and had too many low days to count (unrelated to TAXI, related to personal life at home that gets hard to deal with sometimes when my dear mom is often sick and needs care, among other issues I'm having.)

I've struggled with this decision, but in the end I decided to renew my membership for another year. My new term began March 22nd, as it did the previous 3 years. I still believe in what TAXI does for its members, and with 5 Forwards out of 24 submissions, it would probably be tragic if I quit now. I try to work on my music when I can, but it can be difficult finding chances to do that when I need to listen out for my mom if she needs help. I have other family members at home who help care for her too, which I am extremely grateful for, but I still get tired emotionally and it's hard to push through working on a music project when I need to work my day around her needs.

Here is hoping my 4th year with TAXI will be my best one yet, as I try to get back into the swing of it... TRY being the operative word… despite still dealing with a lot. 

Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat. That’s the mantra, right? Onward, then, to the road of success, and may all of you find success in the roads you ride.

A warm regards to all,
Alyssa
"Hold on to your dreams... The future is built on dreams." - Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime ♥️

Alyssa E. Watts
Website
SoundCloud
YouTube
TAXI Profile

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Staying with TAXI for a 4th Year

Post by Casey H » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:40 pm

Hi Alyssa
Sorry to hear you are going through some tough times. Sending my very best thoughts and wishes your way. I hope you can get some time and motivation to make more music, it's a great outlet for our stresses. I've struggled with depression in my life, lots of empathy. [HUGS emoticon here]

This is a great community. If you ever need a friend to talk to, just drop me a PM.

Warmest,
:D Casey

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:49 pm

Aside from the music opportunities, a great thing about Taxi is the sense of community. Musicians who share similar goals and talents and often some of the same challenges.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

alywat

Post by alywat » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:56 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:40 pm
Hi Alyssa
Sorry to hear you are going through some tough times. Sending my very best thoughts and wishes your way. I hope you can get some time and motivation to make more music, it's a great outlet for our stresses. I've struggled with depression in my life, lots of empathy. [HUGS emoticon here]

This is a great community. If you ever need a friend to talk to, just drop me a PM.

Warmest,
:D Casey
Casey,

Thank you so much for your kind words, and for responding so soon. Depression is a nasty beast, and when one of the many things it affects is progress on things like music projects I want to get done, but run out of energy to do, the vicious cycle just continues non-stop. It’s hard not to beat myself up about it, when I know I could do better.

I’m sorry to hear depression is a part of your life too. HUGS to you back, and thank you again for your kind response.

jdstamper wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:49 pm
Aside from the music opportunities, a great thing about Taxi is the sense of community. Musicians who share similar goals and talents and often some of the same challenges.
Thank you for your reassuring reply as well, Jim. I hope that over time the more I interact here, I can become a part of this community.
"Hold on to your dreams... The future is built on dreams." - Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime ♥️

Alyssa E. Watts
Website
SoundCloud
YouTube
TAXI Profile

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gillihan » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:10 am

I am on my 4th year coming up also. I thought I was a good songwriter to begin with, hahaha. I have learned so much more from being a member. The feedback on critiques is priceless info. I have improved 10 fold. I have written songs my whole life, but I have learned more in the 3 years with taxi than all 40yrs of writing combined. It's the mentality and mindset they teach you . The insight of what is selling and constructive critiquing from people that know (and actually care about music) So worth the fee. I am just now tapping into this forum part. ( I didn't realize what it was) And as I read through I would have been even farther with my career if I would have got on here in year 1!! lol As a member said recently " no man is an Island" and taxi members are all so supportive it is amazing. They truly love seeing each other succeed . I feel like I found out about having family members I didn't know were into music and are so talented. Because they treat you so cool and with respect. Glad you stayed. God bless you and good luck. Ever need anything hit me up!

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JonathanE » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:21 am

alywat wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:02 pm
Hello Michael Laskow, fellow Taxi members, and Taxi crew,

I know I've been MIA for a while now, hardly showing up to TAXI TV broadcasts live or participating in the Forums much at all these days. Honestly I've been depressed, and had too many low days to count (unrelated to TAXI, related to personal life at home that gets hard to deal with sometimes when my dear mom is often sick and needs care, among other issues I'm having.)

I've struggled with this decision, but in the end I decided to renew my membership for another year. My new term began March 22nd, as it did the previous 3 years. I still believe in what TAXI does for its members, and with 5 Forwards out of 24 submissions, it would probably be tragic if I quit now. I try to work on my music when I can, but it can be difficult finding chances to do that when I need to listen out for my mom if she needs help. I have other family members at home who help care for her too, which I am extremely grateful for, but I still get tired emotionally and it's hard to push through working on a music project when I need to work my day around her needs.

Here is hoping my 4th year with TAXI will be my best one yet, as I try to get back into the swing of it... TRY being the operative word… despite still dealing with a lot. 

Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat. That’s the mantra, right? Onward, then, to the road of success, and may all of you find success in the roads you ride.

A warm regards to all,
Alyssa

Hey! So sorry to hear about your struggles, I can say for sure that you are definitely NOT alone... it's been amazing to me that I've been able to do what I have with all the stuff going on in my own personal life (particularly around covid before). Taking care of your mother is definitely super hard, I have a cousin who was in your exact circumstance.

I think it's really smart you have renewed, even though you've had a bunch of returns (I too have had a bunch of forwards, but it's definitely been mostly returns). It has made me a better song writer, and I think that is actually one of the main benefits, and it sounds like you are on that process of becoming much better yourself. Just think of having 5 forwards! That means you definitely have been developing the skills necessary to keep on!

Regarding depression, just my 10 cents... I take a TON of vitamin D and omega 3 (far beyond what is recommeded by "officials"), and I have had health issues clear up and my mood has dramatically improved. I've been able to focus better on creating music better despite many hard personal stuff. Obviously not medical advice, but that's been the case for me.

But regardless, 5 forwards is pretty sweet! Keep on keeping on!

-Jonathan
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com

alywat

Post by alywat » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:05 am

Gillihan wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:10 am
I am on my 4th year coming up also. I thought I was a good songwriter to begin with, hahaha. I have learned so much more from being a member. The feedback on critiques is priceless info. I have improved 10 fold. I have written songs my whole life, but I have learned more in the 3 years with taxi than all 40yrs of writing combined. It's the mentality and mindset they teach you . The insight of what is selling and constructive critiquing from people that know (and actually care about music) So worth the fee. I am just now tapping into this forum part. ( I didn't realize what it was) And as I read through I would have been even farther with my career if I would have got on here in year 1!! lol As a member said recently " no man is an Island" and taxi members are all so supportive it is amazing. They truly love seeing each other succeed . I feel like I found out about having family members I didn't know were into music and are so talented. Because they treat you so cool and with respect. Glad you stayed. God bless you and good luck. Ever need anything hit me up!

Hi Gillihan,

Congrats on your 4th year at TAXI coming up! That's great!! :D I also feel I would’ve been further along in my goals if I came in here more in the Forums easier on, haha. I made a Forum account in my second year, but then didn’t sign back into it until very recently. I definitely need to get back to submitting some more music, after not having done so in a while. Screener feedback is INDEED extremely crucial and necessary on the Returns, and it’s good to look at it, leave it for a day or two, then look at it again to really let the feedback be taken in better, after the initial sting of disappointment from the track being returned lol. Anyways… It's amazing you've been writing songs for so long. TAXI is just jam-packed with so much knowledge, both in the Forums and on TAXI TV, both of which I really need to check out more often. The support here is real... It's different from other musician forums I joined, then left. I think it's safe to say I'll stay on this one. :)

Thank you so much for your kind words. Glad you stayed with TAXI too, and good luck, and god bless!

JonathanE wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:21 am
Hey! So sorry to hear about your struggles, I can say for sure that you are definitely NOT alone... it's been amazing to me that I've been able to do what I have with all the stuff going on in my own personal life (particularly around covid before). Taking care of your mother is definitely super hard, I have a cousin who was in your exact circumstance.

I think it's really smart you have renewed, even though you've had a bunch of returns (I too have had a bunch of forwards, but it's definitely been mostly returns). It has made me a better song writer, and I think that is actually one of the main benefits, and it sounds like you are on that process of becoming much better yourself. Just think of having 5 forwards! That means you definitely have been developing the skills necessary to keep on!

Regarding depression, just my 10 cents... I take a TON of vitamin D and omega 3 (far beyond what is recommeded by "officials"), and I have had health issues clear up and my mood has dramatically improved. I've been able to focus better on creating music better despite many hard personal stuff. Obviously not medical advice, but that's been the case for me.

But regardless, 5 forwards is pretty sweet! Keep on keeping on!

-Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you so much for your reply. The more I think about it, I’m really glad I renewed too… as I saw somewhere here in the forum some time ago, “You can’t lose if your don’t quit.” ;) And it’s true. It can get hard to find the proper time to devote fully to music when other priorities pull me away, especially with my mom’s care, but once I do get to music, it’s so wonderful and I just come alive when it’s a good composing session.

When it comes down to it, I think we all need to think of music as something we GET to do, and not something we HAVE to do, and I think that also helps me pick up a bit when the mood is low. I hope it cheers up others to see this, for anyone who needs it.

I really appreciate your 10 cents on depression and nutrition! I will look into that. Thank you for being encouraging, and I hope you continue to move forward in your music goals too, despite the personal hardships life throws on you.

Alyssa E. Watts
Website
SoundCloud
YouTube
TAXI Profile

jerrybeirne
Active
Active

Post by jerrybeirne » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:27 am

Glad you stayed on too, one thing that being on Taxi does is it helps give you "hope", and hope is something everyone needs, esp when dealing with depression. Kind of like the lottery, you gotta play to win. Keep at it, keep learning from all these other smart folks, and good luck on here!

Jerry

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:35 pm

I LOVE your post Alywat!!!! Thank you for posting it. One of my favorites of all time. Inspirational. Stick with it!!

ML