Feedback - Epic, Hybrid Rock - S230402BA

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nicorivers

Feedback - Epic, Hybrid Rock - S230402BA

Post by nicorivers » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:44 am

Hi everyone! I'm new to Taxi and this will be the first track I submit to a briefing. Hoping to get some feedback before the deadline which is this Sunday April 2.

https://on.soundcloud.com/fC8jj

Thanks!
Nico

EPIC, IMPACTFUL, HYBRID ROCK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a successful International Music Library with an impressive track record of great placements in TV, Film, and Commercials!

This Library is looking for several Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that could be heard on a playlist with the following examples we got directly from our contact at the Company:

References: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/prih0q1mi2k6 ... lZrla?dl=0

Quoting the Client: "We are looking for Epic, Badass, hybrid Rock Songs that incorporate synths, Sound Design elements, trappy hi-hats, etc. The idea is it’s supposed to be Muse/Imagine Dragons style."

Please submit well-produced Rock Songs brimming with tons of epic, hard-hitting, impactful energy that could work well for a variety of placements in Film and TV. Your submissions should have driving rhythms, memorable hooks, catchy melodies, well-crafted lyrics and raw, unapologetic, well-performed vocals. Current-sounding Rock instrumentation that incorporates hybrid elements like trap hats, Sound Design, or synths and falls in the general ballpark of the references will work best for this pitch.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback - Epic, Hybrid Rock - S230402BA

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Hey Nico

I like your song and the vocals sound really licensable but I think where it falls short compared to the refernce tracks is the production.

I am missing the " EPIC, IMPACTFUL, " element especially in the drums & percussion - there just isn't enough low end energy to compete with Imagine Dragons etc. I don't know if you will have time now with the deadline looming but I think you really need to beef up the track and add some impact to it. One way to get more impactful sounding drums is by doubling/layering your main drums with more hard hitting samples as at they moment they sound too polite.

You can also set up a buss with a clipper on it and send some of the drum & possibly bass to it to inject some energy. Other things like a transient plugin may help add some more attack to the sounds too.

Mark

nicorivers

Post by nicorivers » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:17 pm

Thanks, Mark! Solid feedback. I'll beef it up a bit. I've got some hits and stuff in there in the last chorus. Not sure if bringing them in earlier will give away the build, but there is definitely room to add a sample to the kick for some more low end and a parallel drum and bass bus will really help.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:21 am

nicorivers wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:17 pm
Thanks, Mark! Solid feedback. I'll beef it up a bit. I've got some hits and stuff in there in the last chorus. Not sure if bringing them in earlier will give away the build, but there is definitely room to add a sample to the kick for some more low end and a parallel drum and bass bus will really help.
Those reference tracks use drum sounds that are more like what you would use in a Trailer cue than a typical Rock/Pop song

nicorivers

Post by nicorivers » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:05 am

I sent the submission in yesterday, but do you know if I upload a new version will that be the one that's heard? Or can I submit the new version as a second submission. Dumb, I know...first timer here so just trying to give myself the best shot at a forward.

I have a little bit of Damage 2 and some KF perc in there. Maybe just needs to be brought forward in the mix. To me the refs have typical rock drums for the most part. There are some trailer-ish drums in the beginning of one, but for the most part they're just rock drums. So I tucked my perc ensembles.

jerrybeirne
Active
Active

Post by jerrybeirne » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:39 am

nicorivers wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:05 am
I sent the submission in yesterday, but do you know if I upload a new version will that be the one that's heard? Or can I submit the new version as a second submission. Dumb, I know...first timer here so just trying to give myself the best shot at a forward.

I have a little bit of Damage 2 and some KF perc in there. Maybe just needs to be brought forward in the mix. To me the refs have typical rock drums for the most part. There are some trailer-ish drums in the beginning of one, but for the most part they're just rock drums. So I tucked my perc ensembles.
Sometimes when you look at "pending submissions" you will see the ability to edit your submission, but usually when close to the deadline I think that isn't there anymore. So if not I think what you had was already pulled down and set aside to be reviewed...but I could be wrong.

BTW I agree with what the other person said, the lows are not strong enough, might just need to adjust the lows in the EQ and/or pump up the kick and bass guitar. Esp in the second verse. Really good song though IMO. Good job!

nicorivers

Post by nicorivers » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:16 am

Thanks, Jerry! I updated the mix, but not sure I can submit it then... :? Would it be poor form to submit it again? Definitely not a habit I'll be starting.

jerrybeirne
Active
Active

Post by jerrybeirne » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:47 am

nicorivers wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:16 am
Thanks, Jerry! I updated the mix, but not sure I can submit it then... :? Would it be poor form to submit it again? Definitely not a habit I'll be starting.
My first year on here too so I'm probably not the one to ask. I would "guess" that if they like it enough here and it gets forwarded, along the line they would all know that a tweak in the mix would be easy enough to ask you to do, or even do themselves. Others will know better and hopefully will chime in.

Jerry