CD Baby Sync

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Deva

CD Baby Sync

Post by Deva » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:24 am

Hey all, I am a very new member to Taxi and am learning the ropes.
I was wondering if anyone else on here ever used CD Baby and had actual success with them placing your music. I paid extra for that package they offer, and after much searching, there seems to be no way to get in touch with them to see if they are actually working to pitch the music I submitted. Hence: why I joined Taxi. But there are so many stipulations about not working with other publishing companies, I am wondering if I should try to get out of that CD Baby agreement. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with CD Baby, good or bad.
-Deva
(Day-vah)
Deva (Jai guru Deva om)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: CD Baby Sync

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:36 pm

I've not heard of anyone getting a Sync through CD Baby personally , it's not really their core business so I don't know how hard they work to rep the music - You're far more likely to get music licesened by signing it to a hard working sync library which are mostly exclusive these days so you wouldn't be able to submit the same music that you entered into a publishing deal with CDbaby with.

Whether it's worth your while getting your music out of the CDbaby agreement is a whole other question. A lot of us made music prior to learning the biz with Taxi that was not very licensable, so getting it out may be a moot point. You're always better to write brand new material for the listings.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: CD Baby Sync

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:57 pm

I don't know how long CD Baby has been in the sync game but I have a feeling they are late into a very competitive market. I saw this on their site:
https://support.cdbaby.com/hc/en-us/art ... g-program-

It doesn't say how much it cost but there's a lot more to landing sync deals than just slapping up a searchable database and telling supervisors it's there. I would stick with music libraries that have an established client base and track record. The other thing is, AFAIK, there is no quality bar to meet to release music for digital distribution. That means their searchable database could possibly have a lot of crap in it as well as the good stuff. If supervisors go there and hear poorly made music, they'll be gone in a heartbeat. Good libraries only take on tracks that meet their standards.

My two cents,
:D Casey