Online Courses in writing Production Musc

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Online Courses in writing Production Musc

Post by hummingbird » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:11 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:58 am
hummingbird wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:59 am
Cinematic Composing
Is that the guy who does the Orchestral stuff that speaks really fast ? I've seen quite a few of his free videos, what's the actual courses like ?
For me learning how to compose effectively for orchestra was important. I personally learned a lot.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

SteveR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveR » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:47 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:15 am
SteveR wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:44 am
Now I’m getting daily emails with a countdown timer reminding me, like tick, tick, tick, BOOM! 💣 Conclusion now drawn about that one.
Yes, be wary of anything that's trying to use those sorts of marketing tactics it always smells a bit scammy to me. And thanks for the coffee :)
Ha! You’re welcome! Thanks

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:36 pm

Good lord, what in the world could you possibly get for $1,000 that you couldn't get right here with Taxi's resources (all of which - excepting the membership - is free)? I swear, there's a new "course" popping up every day. And I also swear, they aren't worth the price of admission, regardless what that price is.

Seems to me that most of these "courses" are taught by people without much success in this game. Either they're new to the journey themselves, or got a few placements on some random cooking show, and now they're presenting themselves as experts. Little soapbox here, if you couldn't tell, but I've heard the advice quite a few of these people are doling out and it's just not good. Now, there are some stand-up guys with some great offerings, but the sea in the Internet World Of Production Music Training is teeming with sharks.

Tell ya what, just ask one of these people to show you their latest royalty statement, and then you can tell if they are worth a damn. Really, when it comes right down to it, the people you SHOULD be taking courses from are too busy composing music to concern themselves with fleecing the unsuspecting.

~~Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:57 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:36 pm
Good lord, what in the world could you possibly get for $1,000 that you couldn't get right here with Taxi's resources (all of which - excepting the membership - is free)? I swear, there's a new "course" popping up every day. And I also swear, they aren't worth the price of admission, regardless what that price is.

Seems to me that most of these "courses" are taught by people without much success in this game. Either they're new to the journey themselves, or got a few placements on some random cooking show, and now they're presenting themselves as experts. Little soapbox here, if you couldn't tell, but I've heard the advice quite a few of these people are doling out and it's just not good. Now, there are some stand-up guys with some great offerings, but the sea in the Internet World Of Production Music Training is teeming with sharks.

Tell ya what, just ask one of these people to show you their latest royalty statement, and then you can tell if they are worth a damn. Really, when it comes right down to it, the people you SHOULD be taking courses from are too busy composing music to concern themselves with fleecing the unsuspecting.

~~Matt
But tell us how you REALLY feel, Matt!! :lol:

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:08 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:36 pm
Tell ya what, just ask one of these people to show you their latest royalty statement, and then you can tell if they are worth a damn.
https://youtu.be/uKSwaVSRIeM

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:02 pm

Good share, Mark. I've seen some of this guy's videos before, but don't know much about him. Sometimes I wonder how much of "the blind leading the blind" is going on in the world of YouTube tutorials and teaching in general - not only with music production, but with everything. It doesn't take much to position yourself as an expert or fool people into thinking you're something you're not. Not to turn this into anything political, but just look at good ol' George Santos.

So, for that reason, it was good to see some of this dude's royalty statements. I'll have to watch the video closer, but it looks like he's getting fairly decent checks, so the advice he gives is probably reasonable and well-informed. A 140 page royalty statement is pretty substantial! In fact, it got me curious, as I've never paid attention to page-counts, so I just downloaded my most recent BMI & ASCAP statements (yes, I get both, as a recent PRO switcher!). He had more pages than my most recent BMI (104), but my ASCAP was nearly triple (374), lol. Maybe I should be selling a course! Ahhhh who am I kidding.... I barely have enough time to clean my house, hahaha.

~~Matt