Hi there from Lincoln, UK

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Hi there from Lincoln, UK

Post by davidagates » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:07 pm

Hi all!
My name's Dave and I live in the UK. I've been making music for some 20 years, and for the last few I've been producing my own and trying to break into composing for TV/Film etc. I've tried numerous different companies, such as Pond5, Audiosparx, and Wegetartists but none of them have really jelled with me. I'm in the process of getting a diagnosis for Autism, which means I like to have understandable parameters, if I've got that then I'm absolutely good to go!

That's one of the things I've already noticed with Taxi, clear, concise, relevant and helpful pitches with time to write. I'm not looking for get rich quick, I'm in this for the graft, but God only knows how much work I've put into writing music with no real parameters in place. I've already favourited a few jobs on there to compose for, if nothing else it'll give me more variety. In fact I submitted a piece today, so fingers crossed!

I write, record and play everything myself, up to professional standard on guitar and capable on the piano, so if anyone ever wants to collab or anything like that I'm always up for a bit of creative sparring. It's fantastic to be on board with you guys, and I look forward to seeing what becomes of this exciting opportunity.

Dave

https://soundcloud.com/dave-gates-624819578
Check out Crowbar Soundscapes on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/Uovqv

Deva

Re: Hi there from Lincoln, UK

Post by Deva » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:16 am

HI Dave, I am new to Taxi too. I live in Denver, Colorado and my name kind of sounds like yours- Day-vah. :) I hope we can help each other out. Looking forward to hearing what you do next. :)
Deva (Jai guru Deva om)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:55 pm

davidagates wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:07 pm
My name's Dave and I live in the UK. I've been making music for some 20 years, and for the last few I've been producing my own and trying to break into composing for TV/Film etc. I've tried numerous different companies, such as Pond5, Audiosparx, and Wegetartists
Hey Dave - fellow Brit here from the Midands. I tried all 3 of those companies when I first started sync back in 2016 and put 40-50 tracks into each. They've made me about £100 between them in the 8 years since but some of the same music has landed on some well know TV shows via non-exclusive sync libraries I got into via Taxi and made me a lot more. The industry has gradually moved towards exclusive libraies over the years because this means they can sub-publish the music into different territories which isn't possible when it's non-exclusive due to the laws in some countries.

The best thing is to write to the listings and carefully dissect the refernce tracks so your music sounds like it could be on the same playlist. I hear some good music on your SoundCloud so it's probably just a case of learning what works best for sync rather than just doing your own thing and hoping it will work out.

I've posted every year for the past several years how things have progressed which is here you want to take a look ; topic150215.html

It's not easy to make money with your music but it can be done with hard work , perserverance and the right libraries ( i.e. not P5, Audiosuxx etc )

Mark

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by davidagates » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:00 pm

Hi there Mark!

That's actually really heartening to know, I've submitted two piece to Taxi so far, neither were forwarded but neither for anything serious. So I know I'm on the right track.

I'm more than willing to put the work in, I obviously love what I do and want to get better at it, but I'm sure you know where I'm coming from when you submit to those companies, put hours upon hours of collective work into it, and it generally comes to nothing. Well, not nothing, I've got better at composition and certainly better at production with the hours I've put in for those organisations.

As I say, I'm all about putting the graft, I absolutely love the way that Taxi functions, it gives you a brief you write a piece of music for that and then submit. No guess work, no throwing stuff at the wall. The specoficity of it really works with me, plus writing in different genre's is something I'm all about.

Thanks for the link as well, just watching the broadcast about Structuring TV/Film Tracks and i'll look into your work with massive interest.

Thanks again, and it's nice to see a fellow Brit!

Dave
Check out Crowbar Soundscapes on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/Uovqv

Six

Post by Six » Mon May 01, 2023 10:13 am

Hi Dave, just read your post.
If you fancy trying a collar then I'd be happy to give it a try. I believe that not all people fit in this world but there's only one way to see. I'm also happy to fit in with your parameters and your pace.

Be good to talk.

Si