Cubase volume swells

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tatsu
Active
Active

Cubase volume swells

Post by Tatsu » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:16 am

I took a break from production for a while and some of my DAW skills are rusty. I composed a sonata and trying to sequence it now. I'm using Session Strings and I want to create a volume swell on the last held note in a phrase but cc7/main volume doesn't cause any change. I even tried ramping it to nothing but the note is as clear as before. How do I create a volume swell in Cubase? Thx.

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Cubase volume swells

Post by CTWF » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:33 pm

Tatsu wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:16 am
I took a break from production for a while and some of my DAW skills are rusty. I composed a sonata and trying to sequence it now. I'm using Session Strings and I want to create a volume swell on the last held note in a phrase but cc7/main volume doesn't cause any change. I even tried ramping it to nothing but the note is as clear as before. How do I create a volume swell in Cubase? Thx.
I don't have Cubase. But cc7 is MIDI, and I am not sure what you mean by main volume. Do you have separate tracks for the synth ("Session Strings") and the MIDI? If so, can you just automate the volume on the synth track?

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon May 01, 2023 2:29 am

Yes, change the volume automation on that track. Draw two points on the volume curve and use a straight line or shape a curve between them. The volume automation lane is usually the first automation lane shown below each midi or audio track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WBzZg4vA0A&t=38s
If you want to work with midi CC...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHiPb5nn4T8
Remember that not all sound sources will respond the same to midi cc messages.

It took seconds to find those videos, and you can search for all such things in the Cubase manual, the Cubase user forum, Youtube and Google. Have fun! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Mon May 01, 2023 11:56 am

I'm assuming you are referring to NI Session Strings, the Kontakt library?

My Session Strings Pro in Kontakt is responding to MIDI CC 7 here with the expected volume changes. I'm entering MIDI CC 7 values manually in a MIDI clip and Kontakt volume is responding accordingly.

Have you tried right clicking the volume fader in the Kontakt GUI on the top right to "learn midi CC automation" and move a physical fader/knob to see if it's responding to your controller?

Tatsu
Active
Active

Post by Tatsu » Sun May 07, 2023 9:16 am

Yep NI Session Strings. I've got the cc messages selected but it doesn't cause any change. Luckily the volume automation suggestion is working. Thanks guys.