Is it worth it to edit a cue after getting feedback?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

prizzi
Active
Active

Is it worth it to edit a cue after getting feedback?

Post by prizzi » Thu May 18, 2023 6:41 am

Hi,

Does it pay to edit an old submission/track by making some suggested changes, then saving it for a future submission?
With the feedback below it sound like it could be beneficial to edit some of my existing music for future Taxi requests.

Listing: S230512RP and S230512RP (hiphop dramedy and orchestral dramedy)

The feedback from Taxi has been very helpful. I feel as though I am getting a little closer to some of the dramedy and tension listing requests. I recently received feedback recommending that the submission essentially wasn't that far off. Taxi suggested eluded to making a new versions.

Taxi stated...

"Careful not to get too busy melodically from beginning to end as this can compete too much under dialogue. Consider a version with some slightly less top line melody with more pads, beats, perhaps a bigger bass line or some instrumental accompaniment that is more rhythmic, underscore and more sparse."

"The foundation works, yet, for this request, try an alt-arrangement and reduce the amount of additional elements and keep what's left in the mid range. Listen and study the references. Notice the registers used."

Also a big shout out to Pauli C. for his tension cue videos!! Thanks Pauli!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Is it worth it to edit a cue after getting feedback?

Post by hummingbird » Thu May 18, 2023 9:02 am

IMO that's a decision only you can make. The feedback is pretty specific. You can go back and work on making the suggested changes. Or you can take that advice into something new.

In my own experience, trying to fix old stuff isn't very useful. Sometimes you just can't rearrange it effectively, it's hard to change what you already have, and starting with a clean slate is better. However, some years back I did have one track I rewrote three times and finally got signed. The big difference there was I purchased higher quality sounds though.

Since the feedback is there's too much top-end it might be a useful exercise to do a save-as and work on developing the track by moving some of those high end sounds into lower frequencies for a better balance.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Thu May 18, 2023 9:07 am

prizzi wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:41 am
Does it pay to edit an old submission/track by making some suggested changes, then saving it for a future submission?
I found it more useful to save the comments and then re-work the track with new ears and the saved guidelines when an appropriate listing comes along.

And, yes, by all means work on TAXI returns to improve them. All my TV placements are TAXI returns, in one case I think a quadruple return. Each time, I improved it. :)

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

prizzi
Active
Active

Post by prizzi » Thu May 18, 2023 9:12 am

Thank you all for your help! Yes as a matter of fact I think it might be useful to just start a new track and apply that feedback to my new piece. This morning I tried to rework things but wasn't feeling it. Staring over sounds best. Thank you again I appreciate your help!

-Phil