write submit forget..... wait?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Gillihan
Impressive
Impressive

Re: write submit forget..... wait?

Post by Gillihan » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:33 am

Paulie wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:44 am
Very common question. It is incredibly important that you do not reach out to libraries directly until you are prepared and understand the business enough. Otherwise you risk shooting yourself in the foot and burning a bridge.

There are no lists for libraries, you have to earn your way in. I did a video about how to get into libraries on your own: https://youtu.be/iLaDcV5qenE

Like Casey said, if you are getting forwards, your music is up to par. Something I've experienced is that libraries want to work with composers that can deliver 5-10 tracks at a time... it makes their administrative lives easier. Check out my video, let me know if you have any questions.

Paulie
thanx a heap !

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Thu May 25, 2023 7:21 am

I had a several songs used in a couple of TV shows and film. They were submitted to a non-taxi forwarded library. I didn't find out until the BMI check arrived in the mail.

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mteezykeys » Thu May 25, 2023 10:28 am

Once I receive a handful of TAXI Forwards in the same genre, I add them to a soundcloud playlist and start emailing libraries on my own. I've been having some luck getting into new libraries using this method.

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Thu May 25, 2023 3:24 pm

the state of the industry is at its most competitive atm. submission wait times have doubled, established libs are at over capacity per composers, tougher competition per briefs, and higher quality bar thus rejections are at an all time high. its a fight to get 1 to 2 of your tracks to make it in the album due to stiff competition from seasoned and upcoming quality composers. besides established writers, there's also more authors abandoning the RF world and jumping into sync due to AI. the piece of the pie is getting smaller not only in opportunities, placements, and publisher market share, but also in PRO distribution payouts.

getting accepted to a lib is just the tip of the iceberg. once in you are now in competition with their in-house or tenured writers per subs and briefs. and once your track or album makes the cut you're now in competition with the rest of the tracks/albums in their catalog, and then with other labels catalogs. the journey for a track to get a placement is mind boggling and a lengthy process, and the only thing you have control is the quality and quantity of your tracks out there.

if you got quality and quantity down, start going to as many conventions/expos to meet them folks face to face, establish relationships, and learn more about the biz through insider tips & assistance. find seasoned writers to collab with to get your foot in the door. keep searching for pathways, loopholes, backdoors in order to get where you want to go. accept that this will take a while and you might have to use every arrow in your quiver to get there....the good news is that there's a crapload of content being produced that needs music than ever before, and someone will provide it.