Sad Piano and Strings Returns

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Sad Piano and Strings Returns

Post by mteezykeys » Tue May 30, 2023 2:33 pm

I just had 2 instrumentals that were previously forwarded by Screener 452 for Sad Piano and Strings, returned by Screener 452 for Sad Piano and Strings.
Taxi Listing

I'm Not Enough

I think you could improve this song by
The mood seems a little vague. I think we need a more consistent mood. Sometimes it feels sad, sometimes it feels creepy. I returned or forwarded this song because
Mood could be more consistent and clearer.

Struggle Within

I think you could improve this song by
The piano sounds a bit hollow and I think we could use a different piano for this. The development could also have more build and the strings could sound mixed. I returned or forwarded this song because
Production and development has some more room for improvement.

Any thoughts fellow TAXI members?

eandersonmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Sad Piano and Strings Returns

Post by eandersonmusic » Wed May 31, 2023 9:45 am

My guess is they worked well for the past listing but not for this one. That can happen, and does quite often. I just had a 4 time forward get returned.. just wasn't right for the listing.
I did notice that you had one of your tracks forwarded for this listing, so Congrats on that!
Focus on the accomplishments, and who knows.. if the library contacts you and asks for more, you could always give them the other two returns and they may like them as well. Good job man!
Erik Anderson ~ Composer, Producer and Musician
Website • https://www.eandersonmusic.com
Taxi page • https://www.taxi.com/members/erikanderson
Spotify • https://open.spotify.com/artist/78FpvfK ... 0MClpl1zqA

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Wed May 31, 2023 2:05 pm

mteezykeys wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 2:33 pm

" The piano sounds a bit hollow and I think we could use a different piano for this. "

this sounds like either a cut & paste, or there is a meme at the office about pianos sounding hollow.

whats up?

from my perspective your piano and mix overall is simply dry. (which would make more sense since production would add it's own reverb) yet it seems the screener is not satisfied with a dry mix and wants especially the piano more wet.

personally on "The Struggle Within", I dont like your voicings/harmonies at 01:48 and some other spots. (but ironically neither screeners nor forum give proper feedback on musicality.)
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed May 31, 2023 3:05 pm

superblonde wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:05 pm
from my perspective your piano and mix overall is simply dry. (which would make more sense since production would add it's own reverb) yet it seems the screener is not satisfied with a dry mix and wants especially the piano more wet.
Music libraries don't accept tracks based on what the TV production company would do regarding reverb, FX, etc. It has to work as is so that when their clients hear it, it sounds like a match to them.
superblonde wrote:
(but ironically neither screeners nor forum give proper feedback on musicality.)
Well we are so fortunate to have someone like you here who is smarter than everyone.

PS: I haven't yet listened to the track, just commenting on the response I read.

Casey

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mteezykeys » Wed May 31, 2023 7:47 pm

superblonde wrote:
mteezykeys wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 2:33 pm

whats up?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll double check my reverb settings.

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mteezykeys » Wed May 31, 2023 7:47 pm

eandersonmusic wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:45 am
My guess is they worked well for the past listing but not for this one. That can happen, and does quite often. I just had a 4 time forward get returned.. just wasn't right for the listing.
I did notice that you had one of your tracks forwarded for this listing, so Congrats on that!
Focus on the accomplishments, and who knows.. if the library contacts you and asks for more, you could always give them the other two returns and they may like them as well. Good job man!
Thanks for encouragement!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:14 am

Hey Mteezy
We can't read the listing with that link, once a listing has expired the link doesn't work for others. You would need to copy/paste the text here.

I listened to The Struggle Within. My reaction to it was, regardless of production details, it feels a little intense and in your face for "sad piano and strings". Generally for TV BG, cues are somewhat less intrusive when under dialogue. I felt jarred immediately at the first chord. I also didn't think the strings blended in well in the mix but I lack the expertise to tell you what to do or not do there.

Grain of salt-- without the listing, I don't know the reference tracks.

JMHO!
And you're getting forwards so you definitely are doing something right!

:D Casey

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:24 pm

The Struggle Within - Love the violin patch. In my opinion the piano is too powerful compared to the violin. Lower the piano or bring the violin up. Compositionally, the piece starts pretty heavy, I would prefer to hear a quieter intro to give yourself some time to develop. But, I did not hear the references. Melodically you have some conflicts. In the beginning, you your chords are moving between F min and Gm, but you have a Db in the melody playing over a G minor chord, conflicting with the D natural in the chord. The second chord should be G-Bb-Db, not D natural. At the next chord around 0:35 that A natural in the violin really conflicts with the Bb min. Yes, the A is a leading tone to the Bb, but having established the song in Fmin, the ear expects an Ab. The A natural can work, as it does around 0:59, it just depends on what is going on at the time.

I’m Not enough - I like this composition, and I like this violin patch. What are you using for that? The piano is a little off to me, not sure how to describe it. It sounds vintage or retro perhaps? I think the violin could come forward more in the last section, the piano gets heavy again like the other track.

Nice writing for sure!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

mteezykeys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mteezykeys » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:42 pm

Paulie wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:24 pm

I’m Not enough - I like this violin patch. What are you using for that? The piano is a little off to me, not sure how to describe it. It sounds vintage or retro perhaps?
Nice writing for sure!
Thanks for the listen and feedback Paulie! It's a live violin and piano on both of these tracks. I'm lucky enough to live in New Orleans and have access to an abundance of real musicians, so when I can get some one to add a live instrument, I do.