Looking for a bit of an uplift

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Looking for a bit of an uplift

Post by davidagates » Wed May 31, 2023 1:15 pm

Hi guys,

I've not been massively active on here, in all honesty it's so hard being a Dad, working fulltime and trying to improve and write to try and find the time to get on and have proper conversations with people. I've decided I'm going to allot myself a period of time each week to do just that though.

The reason for my post, first and foremost, is to ask how long it was before you had something forwarded. I've got a bit of an "imposter syndrome" problem, I've no musical training, background or any of that, I'm just (objectively I think) good at writing music. I've only submitted 4 times so far, each have been a no, for differing reasons, nothing too bad, but the latest one caught me at a bit of a moment. I'm tired, trying everything I can to make my dream come true and it just doesn't seem to be jelling.

Perhaps I just need to suck it up and keep hammering away, what is you advise? What would you recommend I do?

Thanks

Dave
Check out Crowbar Soundscapes on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/Uovqv

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Looking for a bit of an uplift

Post by melodea » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:40 am

Hi Dave

I was in the exact same boat 2 1/2 years ago (child, family, job etc), with the exception that I have a music and sound engineering education. My first submission was a forward so I thought, hey, easy peasy until the next eleven returns put me right back into reality showing me that despite all my musical experiences my knowledge about production music was far from enough to succeed in that game!
So I did what you mentioned at the end of the post! Suck it up, and give it all! All the frustration, self-doubt, and imposter s*ç% are signs of growth. There is no progression without tons of mistakes and failures. So I tried to implement all the critiques from the screeners into my next tracks and slowly but surely the forward started to trickle in. In my first year, I made 168 submissions (with a return rate of about 55%). And sure enough after a while also contracts started to trickle in and a few placements. I keep on pushing and writing, now directly to libraries but the success is still very sobering. But reading as many success stories as possible showed me that the most important ingredient is PERSISTENCE AND PATIENCE. None of the other stuff like education, geniality, being a computer genius etc...... I know some returns hurt BUT it's an opinion of ONE person and it's 90% of the time valid in some way or the other. Just to put stuff in perspective: 90% of my returns got signed by a library!

So, if, after 5 years of pushing hard, like 100 submissions (or contacting libraries directly) a year and writing at least 50 to 70 cues a year, there is not at least a handful of contracts and placements in your name, only then it would be the moment to ask yourself: is that for me? Everything less than that is a victory of the imposter within ourselves!

Good luck Dave
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:41 am

davidagates wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:15 pm
The reason for my post, first and foremost, is to ask how long it was before you had something forwarded.
H Dave , I don't know how long you have been a member but here is the result from my first couple of months back in 2016

Similar to Melodea, it ended up being a little over half was returned.
davidagates wrote:
I've got a bit of an "imposter syndrome" problem, I've no musical training, background or any of that, I'm just (objectively I think) good at writing music
Like you I don't have any musical training either and just play everything by ear. But unlike many others I've never experienced imposter syndrome. My Dad always said something along the lines of " There are people doing what you are doing , that are worse at it than you are ....but making more money at it ! " So that's how I always view it. I might not be the best muscian but I can make sync tracks just as well or better in many cases than people who studied for music degrees etc. My education was in the field not the classroom, and I never got the chance to attend a Road Rally as the trip was too expensive for me to attend from the UK.
davidagates wrote:
Perhaps I just need to suck it up and keep hammering away, what is you advise? What would you recommend I do?
You can't base anything off of 4 returns. That's like dipping your pinkie toe into the pool and deciding you can't swim.

You just need to consistently keep showing up. I have a a full time job and 3 kids too so you have to make/find the time whether that's getting up super early or locking the studio door on a weekend. Find a schedule that works for you. I mainly produce at nights between 9pm - midnight whilst other folks sit on the couch watching TV and then in the mornings on a weekend before I have to do my family duties.

I think you already commented on my previous post for my 7yr update so you can see how long it took me to start getting any traction. It's not easy and it's not for everyone but then nothing good ever came easy.

Mark

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by davidagates » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:52 am

Thank you both, that genuinely made me a bit emotional.

You're absolutely right in what you say, I just need to keep at it and keep on grinding away, just through the sheer act of repetition you're more likely to get better.

None of the feedback has been horrific and I've taken it all on board, I've actually started a spread sheet for listings in order to keep track of them, but I think a solid routine is an excellent idea. Between 9 and 12 does sound spot on.

Thanks so much to both of you, I was getting a bit despondent and you've lifted me up. As soon as I'm done at work I'm cracking that guitar out again, as a matter of interest, prior to submission would you recommend posting the track on here for peers to have a look at? Thing is music is so subjective that I don't know if it would be constructive or not, as long as the production standards are up there (which I've been advised they are), anything else would be personal taste. I also don't want to not avail myself of a brilliant resource.

Oh and I feel you in regard to the road rally, I'd love to go but I'm the UK as well. Shame as it seems like a blast.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:59 am

davidagates wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:52 am
as a matter of interest, prior to submission would you recommend posting the track on here for peers to have a look at? Thing is music is so subjective that I don't know if it would be constructive or not, as long as the production standards are up there (which I've been advised they are), anything else would be personal taste.
Yes, post your work and get some views. Even if you don't agree with the comments they will at least tell you how others perceive your music. It isn't purely personal taste though. All of us can get so caught up in what we're working on that we forget the brief, but the ears of those not invested in your music can often tell you what you haven't noticed yourself, and what might be missing. The best track in the world won't get forwarded if its not what is asked for.

As for the rest, it won't happen overnight. If it was easy then everyone would be successful. Keep going and getting better by whatever route you can. Also, getting a forward from Taxi tells you that you've produced music of broadcast quality that has met the listing requirements, and that in itself is quite an achievement for some. Its not the whole story though and there are more hoops to jump through. Taxi is a great way to learn to jump but its not the only way, so when your music is consistently hitting the required standard its worth trying other routes as well, such as contacting libraries directly.

Many who come to this fall by the wayside, simply because they don't get the rapid success they dreamed of. Persistence alone is no guarantee of success, but at least you'll still be in the race and they won't. Keep going ! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by davidagates » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:06 am

Lovely stuff, thank you.

Yeah, I'm not labouring under the misapprehension that this is a fast process, I'm in it for the long haul and to improve, so I'll definitely take what you've said on board. Would I just post my tracks in the general chat for feedback? Thank you for this again, was a bit crestfallen yesterday but I'm not quite galvanised!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:53 am

davidagates wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:06 am
Would I just post my tracks in the general chat for feedback?
Peer To Peer is probably best. Make sure your tracks can be accessed by others who are not logged in to your Taxi account, or put them on Soundcloud). I suggest copy/pasting the whole listing that the track is intended for (links to it rarely work) and making sure the ref tracks links are active (so we don't have to go hunting for them based on just a title). Basically, if you want help then help people to help you :).

Also, I realise your time is precious (and so is everyone else's) but it really is worth spending a bit of it checking these forums daily, and particularly other peoples submissions when they're seeking comments. You might be surprised what you'll learn from that, but its also a 'two-way street' so offer your comments too and you're likely to get more feedback in return. Beyond that, you might even find collaborators who can ease you're time concerns.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by davidagates » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:35 am

Brilliant, thank you so much for all the help. I've actually (during the brief periods of quiet at work) done myself a weekly schedule now and half an hour a day has been put aside so that I can keep up to date with the forum and it's goings on. It would be remiss of me to avoid such a brilliant source of information, also blocked in periods for specific song writing as well, get myself into the proper rhythm (no pun intended) of making music at a consistent rate and still being able to be a decent father.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:04 am

davidagates wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:52 am
as a matter of interest, prior to submission would you recommend posting the track on here for peers to have a look at?
Put it this way. I am almost at 600 tracks in and I still share most of my library tracks with a one or two sets of trusted ears before I submit them. Don't create in a vacuum when you're essentialy writing for other people.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:17 am

davidagates wrote:
I've no musical training,
that phrase means many different things in different contexts. it could be a great benefit to simply resolve it directly and then not have that problem anymore. depending on what you mean by "training", it might only take a few months of regular exercises/study.

composing by "trial and error" because of lack of knowledge is very common. that doesn't make it right. it is much more time consuming and frustrating (because of hitting dead-ends and not knowing what to do musically).
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead