Feedback Request-Dramedy/Urban Comedy

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

prizzi
Active
Active

Feedback Request-Dramedy/Urban Comedy

Post by prizzi » Wed May 31, 2023 7:58 am

Hi guys. I am fairly new to taxi as well as sync music. I wish to get some feedback on an urban comedy track if anyone has a second I would appreciate it!
This is not for a particular listing yet but I wish to submit it in the future. Thank you guys! :D :D

https://soundcloud.com/user-399751117/n ... al_sharing

RiffKitten

Re: Feedback Request-Dramedy/Urban Comedy

Post by RiffKitten » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:52 am

Hey Prizzi,

I'm pretty new to TAXI and sync music too, so take these thoughts with a grain of salt.

Your track mood is definitely spot on for Dramedy - it sounds very much like what I've heard in many TV shows. I like the mallet intro and how you develop that theme throughout the cue. The 808 bass sound is great - smooth and with a slight pitched attack - very modern and appropriate. I like the change around 0:54 where you strip down the arrangement - that tambourine combined with the bass sounds really cool.

It does sound a little bit like it needs an extra lift from the rhythmic elements. I think that the kick could be punchier (you could try adding compression plus EQ, or even an envelope shaper with an enhanced attack), as well as louder. If that kick hits a little bit harder, I think this would be right up their (TAXI's) alley!

Again, these are just my initial thoughts - I wish you tons of luck with the track!

Andrew

prizzi
Active
Active

Post by prizzi » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:55 pm

Thank you Andrew! I appreciate you taking the time to listen to that track. You have had way more forwards than me so your feedback means a lot. (I have only had 1 so far).

Yes I was going for a punchy kick but I will do so some work on it. I noticed in your hip hop dramedy tracks the kick (and drums for that matter) are really punchy. I have some parallel compression on the kick but maybe I should build up the mix again with more compression.
Also I just purchased the 808 Warfare plugin for Kontakt but I need to play around with those settings your mentioned.

Thanks again man!

-Phil

RiffKitten

Post by RiffKitten » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:11 pm

You're most welcome, Phil! I'm happy to offer feedback anytime, though I'm still learning too. I think being able to come on this forum and exchange advice is great - Better than endlessly wondering why a return was a return!

Keep it up man. One forward is still worth celebrating. I'm in a rut right now and it seems like ages since I've gotten a forward - it ebbs and flows, with a lot of variables thrown into the mix too.

prizzi
Active
Active

Post by prizzi » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:08 pm

Thanks man! Keep it up too you are doing a great job!

This is all new for me but I am a little late to the game so I am trying to learn as much as I can especially with the music composing/arranging side of things. Taking a small idea and developing it is where it is at. There is great advice on this forum.

Your production skills are great. I have music degree too and this is all new to me. Learning production and honing composition and arranging skills at the same time is challenging. From what everyone says, it's a long term game. I am in a rut at least once a week but after taking a break I come back and jump back in. Many times I just try and write something everyday and make sure that I finish each track no matter what. I try not to leave unfinished tracks lying around even though some tracks are stinkers! Sometime the ideas come fast and sometimes they take awhile.

Really though, your production skills are great; you really have a feel for the vibe that these listings are asking for. Keep going!

-Phil

RiffKitten

Post by RiffKitten » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:34 pm

Thanks a lot, Phil! I mean it - it's taken years to hone my production skills and it's really good hear that. My 'educated' musical training was first to be a composer. When I graduated, I learned (and wanted) to work on my production so that I could eventually do everything myself like my musical idols. It's been a long and sometimes difficult journey but I'm starting to get to a place where I feel relatively satisfied with my compositions (that did NOT used to be the case at all).

You're doing all the right things - by consistently working on new tracks and getting feedback, you learn something new each time! For me personally, it's how I learn best - I treat it like any other job and put the hours in no matter what. It IS a long game in my experience!

I find it challenging sometimes to know how other people will feel from my compositions, even if they think it's good music, sometimes it's pretty different from how I feel myself. That's a hurdle that I'm currently trying to jump over in the sync world, but I believe I'll get there eventually.

I really appreciate your kind words on my production! Take care man - stay positive..

Andrew