Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mattbee
Active
Active

Folk/Pop Instrumental Cue Feedback

Post by mattbee » Tue May 23, 2023 5:04 am

Hi all,
Would love some feedback (especially mix feedback) for this one. I've used the banjitar but not sure if it adds a hollow/honkiness that just.... doesn't sound good? Appreciate any feedback about anything that can be improved though:

Leaves on your Doorstep

Listing info below, and many thanks in advance!

Lots of CURRENT-Sounding FOLK/POP INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

This Library is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) that could fit on a playlist with the following references:

"Need You" by Penny & Sparrow

"Sword From The Stone" by Passenger

"Stick Season" by Noah Kahan

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Please submit well-produced Folk/Pop Instrumentals (or Cues) with inviting rhythms, memorable motifs, and solid arrangements that could work well for a variety of sync placements. Acoustic/organic-based instrumentation in the general ballpark of the examples will work best for this pitch. Craft your pieces around a central motif and layer instrumentation in and out to create dynamics, forward motion, and interest. Your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use need to be high-quality and current-sounding, as well.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals or Cues you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals or Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Thursday, May 25th, 2023. TAXI # S230525SF

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Folk/Pop Instrumental Cue Feedback

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:55 am

Hey Matt --

Nice work on this cue. I think the banjitar works, but could be more clear in the mix for my taste.

I worked on this listing as well -- really fun project -- hope you had good luck with it!

Doug

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:09 am

Hi, I agree with Doug that the banjitar works but when its taking the lead it could shine a little more. Other things that occurred to me are that the overall level is a bit low, so maybe lift your mix a touch, some more stereo width might help, and most of all the Banjitar strums in the middle section are a bit stiff. Maybe on that last point you might consider playing single notes or dropping out the Banjitar and using real mandolin strums for example to keep it more organic. I like the track though and wish you well with it.

P.S. You might get more feedback on tracks/mixes etc by posting in Peer-Peer.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:35 pm

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated! Hope you did better than me with the listing Doug, mine was returned, how did yours go? They asked for more compelling production/composition for me, fair enough!

Thanks again :)

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:25 pm

mattbee wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:35 pm
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated! Hope you did better than me with the listing Doug, mine was returned, how did yours go? They asked for more compelling production/composition for me, fair enough!

Thanks again :)
Hey Matt- I was fortunate and had mine forwarded, we'll see what happens, fingers crossed!

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:42 pm

Awesome Doug, nice work!