Other Recommended Library Companies

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davidagates
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Other Recommended Library Companies

Post by davidagates » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:58 am

Hi there,

So, I've been beavering away here for a bit, made a few submissions, no forwards yet, but I think I'm nearly there.

Now, one of the biggest take aways from advise and feedback etc. is that I need to diversify where my music goes.

I've tried doing a bit of research, but it's quite loaded with sponsored crap or alternatively click bait articles, as such I was looking to see if there are any recommendations that you guys would give?

I'm quite diverse music wise, can turn my hand to anything really, I do love doing a bit of rock, but then I'm also very much into making synth landscapes etc.

I suppose I'm just trying to feel out what others would recommend to help me get the most of the stuff that might be good, but not quite on target for Taxi but a great piece irrespective.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Check out Crowbar Soundscapes on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/Uovqv

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Other Recommended Library Companies

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:51 am

Hi David, no one can answer that question publicly. TAXI hosts this forum and it wouldn't be kosher for us to be posting names of libraries here when TAXI's business is to screen music for the industry.

People often recommend Music Library Report as a resource. Be aware that the comments and reviews may or may not be from experienced composers, but it's a place to start.

H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPZmuS7DdRY

Also, perhaps best not to market yourself as 'I can turn my hand to everything'. If you were running a library company would you want people who could 'turn their hand' to a style, or were experts at producing it? Its very handy to be versatile, but perhaps better to go in at the start with styles that you're best at and enjoy making, so you wouldn't be phased if they asked you for 10-12 tracks to make an album. Once you're in then you can keep an eye open for briefings on whatever else they might want, and give it your best shot.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:41 pm

Good advice here already. One of the worst things a library can hear from a composer is "I can do a ton of styles." Whether or not it is true is besides the point... they want focused composers that have strengths and specialities. Stick with what you are strong at, the music you grew up listening to, etc. Once you've made contact and submitted some music, then you can ask about other genres that they might need.

Create a playlist of five tracks in your strongest genre and start shopping it. This is one of the best ways to get in the door. Another option is to find other musicians that you get along with that work in your preferred genres, and see if you can do a collaboration together for a library that they are already in.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mkirbymusic » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:22 pm

I also think there may be some misinterpretation at play here as well.

When you say that "one of the biggest take aways from advise and feedback etc. is that I need to diversify where my music goes.", I am assuming that they're saying your track doesn't go anywhere. This means that it doesn't develop at all; it just kind of sits in one place.

If you don't mind quoting the screener, we could probably help clear that up for you as I'm sure many of us have heard similar comments in the past.

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jefflaplante » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:34 pm

MichaelSpilnerKirby wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:22 pm

When you say that "one of the biggest take aways from advise and feedback etc. is that I need to diversify where my music goes.", I am assuming that they're saying your track doesn't go anywhere. This means that it doesn't develop at all; it just kind of sits in one place.

If you don't mind quoting the screener, we could probably help clear that up for you as I'm sure many of us have heard similar comments in the past.
I'm pretty sure this means to have your music represented by many different libraries, and not to put all of your eggs into one basket. I don't think it is meant as a critique of the music itself.

Jeff

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mkirbymusic » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:41 pm

jefflaplante wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:34 pm
MichaelSpilnerKirby wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:22 pm

I'm pretty sure this means to have your music represented by many different libraries, and not to put all of your eggs into one basket. I don't think it is meant as a critique of the music itself.

Jeff
You could be right. I was reading it in the context of the sentence before that about not getting any forwards yet and being close. Maybe the advice and feedback mentioned is from the forums and not the screeners? :?:

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:23 pm

jefflaplante wrote:
+1 That's how I interpret it as well. :D

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mkirbymusic » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:45 am

Casey H wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:23 pm
jefflaplante wrote:
+1 That's how I interpret it as well. :D
Okay, majority rules :lol:

Maybe I was projecting my experience having dozens of returns in the past saying the track doesn't "go anywhere" or it "sits in one spot" LOL

PeteCrane
Active
Active

Post by PeteCrane » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:55 pm

Just jumping on here to reinforce what others have said in that it's better to have a signature style and be the go-to composer for that style than being ostensibly able to do anything.

That's one of the misconceptions people have about composing for screen - they think that in order to be successful you'd have to create every style under the sun; horror one day, kids' music the next. This is totally not the case. I've only had composing work come to me when it's been in my wheelhouse to begin with, not because of an assumption that I can do everything.

If you do want to approach libraries directly, I think the other bit of advice would be to make sure you have a full album ready to go in a particular style that you can pitch as-is. If you approach a music library with a bunch of random tracks and say you can compose anything, then you're really coming to them with a problem (i.e. asking them to tell you what to write) as opposed to a solution (i.e. giving them a full album ready to publish). This also shows you can finish projects and follow things through, which will go a long way when it comes to landing clients.

So I'd say, either keep grinding away at Taxi submissions and learn from the feedback (I know I've learned some tricks as a composer from Taxi feedback and improved as a result), or set out to creating an album in one particular style that you're best at and pitch that to a ML when it's finished.