Listing Exclusivity Question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Listing Exclusivity Question

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:41 pm

There's currently a listing running through July 13 (#S230713GH) that states "This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 1-year, Sync-Only agreement."

Does this mean the exclusivity of this agreement is only for the sync aspect of its use? In other words, I'd still be able to have the song on Spotify or other streaming services during that year?

Does that also mean that after a year, I'd be able to shop it around to other libraries or publishers?

Thank you!
Stream my latest singer-songwriter album here: https://ffm.to/anthonyceseri

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Listing Exclusivity Question

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:38 am

AnthonyCeseri wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:41 pm
There's currently a listing running through July 13 (#S230713GH) that states "This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 1-year, Sync-Only agreement."

Does this mean the exclusivity of this agreement is only for the sync aspect of its use? In other words, I'd still be able to have the song on Spotify or other streaming services during that year?

Does that also mean that after a year, I'd be able to shop it around to other libraries or publishers?
Hey Anthony :D
On the first question, that would be my interpretation as I can't think of any other reasons the term "sync only" would be in there.

The 1-year *usually* means you can pull the track out after 1 year if it hasn't been placed. But deals vary. I would contact Taxi and ask for clarification if you are concerned. They have the direct relationship with the listing party and can find out the absolute answers to your questions.

Best,
:) Casey

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:15 am

Thanks, Casey!

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:14 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:38 am
I would contact Taxi and ask for clarification if you are concerned. They have the direct relationship with the listing party and can find out the absolute answers to your questions.
Took your advice and sent Taxi a message, Casey. For anyone else curious about this listing, this is what they said in regard to the same questions I asked above:

"No, in this agreement you'd still have to pull down the song you sign over to this company from any DSPs it's currently uploaded to for monetization as they will have the exclusive right to the song during that year. Once that year is up, then you can re-upload the song for digital distribution, but only when your year is up with this client.

To answer your second question, you are correct."
Stream my latest singer-songwriter album here: https://ffm.to/anthonyceseri