Quick Question

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Perono

Re: Quick Question

Post by Perono » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:42 pm

Paulie wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:47 pm
Short answer to your main question: No.

:)

But, we need to understand how you define success. Lots of threads are in this forum aboutr how often to submit, how long does the process take, how do I make mone at this, etc.

Let's assume perfection and four tracks get forwarded. This means that a music ilbrary will receive your tracks along with other forwards. What happens next depends on the goals of the project. Is the library creating an album of a certain genre to shop to its clients, or is it trying to fit a specific request for a specific show? Let's assume the latter... so what happens next? That music supervisor reviews the tracks received by the library and then selects a certain number of those tracks for whatever the project is. Let's assume it is a tv show. The show will eventually air, then a few months later the tracks used will be reported to the PROs, and then several months later royalties will be paid. How much will you make? It depends on so many things... but it first requires that your tracks were used in the first place.

Generally speaking it could easily take a full year before you see any income from those tracks, again, assuming they get placed into a show. How much money depends on time of day, length of the play, which network, etc. You might make $40, you might make $400. It's a huge mystery and entirely unpredictable.

So, what are your goals, why are you submitting? Why did you join Taxi? Figure that out, then do the math to figure out how to achieve "success" as you define it. :)

I really appreciate the answer. However I made a couple of mistakes on how I asked the question.. I meant 3 to 4 songs per week

Perono

Post by Perono » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:45 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:01 am
boinkeee2000 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:41 pm
In a perfect world, If those 3-4 forwarded songs are going to beyonce, then yes...you're set for life
Mine go right to Taylor Swift. :lol: :lol:

Casey
Appreciate the reply.. I meant 3 to 4 track a week. Little misunderstanding lol

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:57 pm

Oh! That makes a big difference in my answer. ;)

It sounds like you are about to make the same mistake I made my first two years of Taxi: Submitting as much as I could to every genre that I thought I could create.

My advice to you is to FOCUS on the genres you are best at. Stick with two or three genres, maybe even just one, and create the best possible music you can make, with the best possible mix. See if you get forwarded, then see if libraries contact you. Don't try to write to every genre you think you can create... it will most likely be a waste of your time and money. Trust me, I did the very same thing you are thinking about doing and it was my biggest Taxi mistake. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:31 am

Perono wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:05 am
I am planning to submit 3 to 4 songs in a week to the briefs that are the most fitting to my Niche.
Submit 3 - 4 songs per week.....

Or write and submit 3 - 4 songs per week ?

The reason I ask is there is a huge difference.

If you're trying to shoehorn a bunch of pre-existing material into 3 or 4 listings each week it's a tactic that's unlikely to work as the chances of them being on target is very small. The best piece of advice anyone around here ever gives is " write to the listings " because if you don't you'll likely get a bunch of returns and shelling out $20 a week gets old real fast. The chances are if you have a niche there wouldn't even be enough listings that would be suitable every week.

Of course it is possible to write 3-4 tracks a week , I can't do it as I max out at about two after my family and work commitments but there are folks here that have written 500 instrumental cues in a year. Those people are the exception though.

Like the others said it depends on your goals and also your capabilities, some people land here with music that's ready made for TV & Film opportunities but many members have a way to go before they even reach the quality bar and some of them never do even after years of trying.

So there is no quick answer to your quick question as there are too many variables. Everyone's path is different. I have kept a track of my own journey here over the years for people to see. Your own journey will be different though.

seven-year-update-t150215.html

Mark

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:53 am

Perono wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:40 pm
boinkeee2000 wrote:
Perono wrote:
Hey! Hope you all are having a good day.

Taxi is new to me. I registered 2 weeks ago so I just wanted a quick handout.

I am planning to submit 3 to 4 songs in a week to the briefs that are the most fitting to my Niche. Lets say in a perfect world they all are forward guaranteed. Will that be enough to maximize my success or do I need to do more?
In a perfect world, If those 3-4 forwarded songs are going to beyonce, then yes...you're set for life

In an imperfect world, well...its long winded

wish you luck on your journey

I think I said it wrong.. Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I meant 3 to 4 songs per weeks
If I may be perfectly honest Perono, neither I nor anyone here can calculate success from a submissions variable. Its not comparable to business planning and forecasting where estimations are important. Everyone will have a different trajectory and can only speak through personal experiences, to which none will be the same as yours, thus it may or may not apply to you. I myself had the same questions starting out. in the end found it to be a fruitless endeavor that actually hindered my progress by following advise and pathways not applicable to me. The only variable you can control is what you write, how much of it, and to keep doin it for a long time. soon you will know if this journey is worth continuing, there's really no shortcut. some good advise i ever got was from a Lib CEO who said the number one reason folks drop out of this gig is false expectations

Perono

Post by Perono » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:42 pm

Paulie wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:57 pm
Oh! That makes a big difference in my answer. ;)

It sounds like you are about to make the same mistake I made my first two years of Taxi: Submitting as much as I could to every genre that I thought I could create.

My advice to you is to FOCUS on the genres you are best at. Stick with two or three genres, maybe even just one, and create the best possible music you can make, with the best possible mix. See if you get forwarded, then see if libraries contact you. Don't try to write to every genre you think you can create... it will most likely be a waste of your time and money. Trust me, I did the very same thing you are thinking about doing and it was my biggest Taxi mistake. :)

Great Advice!! This is exactly what I am on.. When I get a listing that I can Properly write and submit for I will put it on a checklist and write like 10 songs and submit maybe 5 of the best. What you say is pretty accurate.. Appreciate that

Perono

Post by Perono » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:48 pm

boinkeee2000 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:53 am
Perono wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:40 pm
boinkeee2000 wrote:

In an imperfect world, well...its long winded

wish you luck on your journey

I think I said it wrong.. Sorry for the misunderstanding.. I meant 3 to 4 songs per weeks
If I may be perfectly honest Perono, neither I nor anyone here can calculate success from a submissions variable. Its not comparable to business planning and forecasting where estimations are important. Everyone will have a different trajectory and can only speak through personal experiences, to which none will be the same as yours, thus it may or may not apply to you. I myself had the same questions starting out. in the end found it to be a fruitless endeavor that actually hindered my progress by following advise and pathways not applicable to me. The only variable you can control is what you write, how much of it, and to keep doin it for a long time. soon you will know if this journey is worth continuing, there's really no shortcut. some good advise i ever got was from a Lib CEO who said the number one reason folks drop out of this gig is false expectations

Thank you for letting me know.. To be honest I am pretty unattached to results. I mostly get fullfillement for knowing that I took action and did the proper work. At the end there is none to lose. The least thing you can get is how to make better songs.

Perono

Post by Perono » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:53 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:31 am
Perono wrote:
I am planning to submit 3 to 4 songs in a week to the briefs that are the most fitting to my Niche.
Submit 3 - 4 songs per week.....

Or write and submit 3 - 4 songs per week ?

The reason I ask is there is a huge difference.

If you're trying to shoehorn a bunch of pre-existing material into 3 or 4 listings each week it's a tactic that's unlikely to work as the chances of them being on target is very small. The best piece of advice anyone around here ever gives is " write to the listings " because if you don't you'll likely get a bunch of returns and shelling out $20 a week gets old real fast. The chances are if you have a niche there wouldn't even be enough listings that would be suitable every week.

Of course it is possible to write 3-4 tracks a week , I can't do it as I max out at about two after my family and work commitments but there are folks here that have written 500 instrumental cues in a year. Those people are the exception though.

Like the others said it depends on your goals and also your capabilities, some people land here with music that's ready made for TV & Film opportunities but many members have a way to go before they even reach the quality bar and some of them never do even after years of trying.

So there is no quick answer to your quick question as there are too many variables. Everyone's path is different. I have kept a track of my own journey here over the years for people to see. Your own journey will be different though.

seven-year-update-t150215.html

Mark

Writing.
I quite young, I am not paying rent yet and my bills are minimal plus I saved enough to not have a job for a while so I can fully focus on myself, God and music. So I have a lotta times to focus on music full times.