Kitschy 60's Instrumental return - advice?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Kitschy 60's Instrumental return - advice?

Post by stansongman » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:35 am

I just got a return for this submission:

Why Don't We Talk About Love

I got positive comments on the tune, but I guess they felt that the track did not sound like it was from the 60's, and referenced the samples I used as the problem.

I tracked it in mono using Mojo2 "vintage" horn presets, a vintage 60's mono drum kit, played it all myself, worked to add 60's-style cheesy horn articulations, did minimal quantization/etc. I also used Vox Continental organ and vibraphone for extra kitsch. In the mixing/mastering, I employed plate reverb and tape saturation to add more to the vintage sound.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what more (or less) I might do to make this track convincingly 60's in lieu of having live players. I was really trying to channel Ray Conniff in this (without the Ray Conniff singers doubling the instruments, I didn't have the singers available to do that and was fearful they'd return it for having vocals in it anyways). What more if anything could I do to make this hit the mark?

The listing:
KITSCHY, 1960s Style INSTRUMENTALS are needed by an extremely busy Music Library with a tremendously long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!

IMPORTANT NOTE: This Library is open to hearing both Vintage recordings from the 1960s OR recently-recorded tracks that sound like they could've been recorded in the '60s.
This Company is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general ballpark of these references:
"Wave" by Antonio Carlos Jobim
"Ebb Tide" by Ray Conniff
"And I Love Her" by Santo & Johnny
"Soul Bossa Nova" by Quincy Jones

Quoting the Library: "I'm looking for stuff like the music heard in all those old '60s films and documentaries. Tracks would need to sound authentic to the period, so no modern elements mixed in, like EDM or Electronica or whatever. Just pure '60s cheese."

Screener comments:
Another good sounding tune and melody.
I think you could improve this song by
We need to make sure any samples used are absolutely spot on if we're goig to emulate the 60's.

I returned or forwarded this song because
These references predate the advent of MIDI by around 20 years, so these sounds all need to sound like the real thing.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Kitschy 60's Instrumental return - advice?

Post by Paulie » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:54 pm

First thing that jumps out to me right away is the fake sounding horns. Articulations are not right, shorts need to be shorter, and the longer notes need some dyamic shaping to them instead of being the same volume through out the longer notes. Musically it's perfect, it's the sounds that killed you on this one.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Kitschy 60's Instrumental return - advice?

Post by stansongman » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:27 pm

Thanks, Paulie! I appreciate the input. I'll work on that, and maybe post an update. This kind of stuff comes around a bit, so I want to nail it down for the next go 'round.