What do foreign (non US) composers do for PRO?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What do foreign (non US) composers do for PRO?

Post by Telefunkin » Fri May 05, 2023 4:02 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:13 am
Do you know if you can tell them to transfer your funds to someone else's U.S. account?
Yes, but why would I want to do that? I'd prefer to keep the money myself :lol: .
Telefunkin wrote:
Who told the story that the fee for cashing the cheque almost ate up the entire payment of $40?
I'm pretty sure I don't lose anything like that much. As I said though, there's always some exchange rate loss for anyone who gets a placement in a country with a different currency. In my case, for placements outside the US I'm taking the hit, from Euros, AUD or whatever (even GBP) to USD, then from USD to GBP too. However, for US placements there would probably be very little difference whether it was the PROs or the banks that applied the exchange rate, although cheque cashing commission does add a small extra loss for me.

I mention all these things not as complaints (they've been my choices) but to make others aware of the consequences of joining a PRO outside their home country, and help them make the best decisions for their own circumstances. To reiterate, in many ways it makes very little difference which one you join, but it is worth thinking about how the royalty funds will flow, and whether there's a significant advantage in joining your home PRO.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Sat May 06, 2023 9:04 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:02 pm
Yes, but why would I want to do that? I'd prefer to keep the money myself :lol: .
In my case, I am German and with BMI and have no U.S. account, but my American wife has. I guess I could send her the $20 bucks they credited me with last quarter. :mrgreen:
Telefunkin wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:02 pm
To reiterate, in many ways it makes very little difference which one you join, but it is worth thinking about how the royalty funds will flow, and whether there's a significant advantage in joining your home PRO.
My options were: German GEMA, which charges EUR 100 for signing up, and from then EUR 50 annually, or BMI - for free. No-brainer. :)
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

SteveR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveR » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:20 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
I'm in the UK and joined BMI many years ago (long story) just after they opened up to non-US members. Otherwise, I would have joined PRS in the UK. Its always 'swings and roundabouts' whichever PRO you join though. Some pros (not PROs ;)) and cons (not swindles ;)) that you might think about ....
Thanks for taking the time to share all the info. I revisited this thread because I’m considering what bank options to go with. It is possible for me to set up an US account, which is most likely the best option for me.