Anyone had this happen?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TheRealPatrickAdams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Anyone had this happen?

Post by TheRealPatrickAdams » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:57 pm

I received an email today from a company that wanted to talk about using my music for sync opportunities. The problem is the email seems extremely vague. I don't want to divulge the name of the company just yet. No official letterhead or anything (no contact info). Just a first name of the individual and a company name/ llc. I tried to look up the company name and got really nothing. I haven't had much contact with companies/ publishers for sync and I wonder where they got my info. My question is, how should I move forward?? I'd like to know if any members have had this kind of experience and how did you proceed?
Patrick Adams
Singer/ songwriter in the country tradition. Storyteller and musician working to connect the human race through love and song.
Email: padams_77@yahoo.com
Email: twangquest@gmail.com
Twitter: @PatrickAdams307
www.taxi.com/members/PatrickAdams307
Instagram:@patrickadams307

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Anyone had this happen?

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:57 pm

While there are occasional exceptions, in most cases, if you are contacted unsolicited, it's not worth pursuing. But it would be a good idea to reply to their email and ask how they got your name. For example, if it was from a Taxi forward, that would at least tell you there is an explanation for the contact and the party was validated. Or maybe there is more to the story you need to know. However, if they don't reply or the reply smells funny, run away.

Good luck!
:D Casey

TheRealPatrickAdams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TheRealPatrickAdams » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:58 pm

Thanks Casey. That was my intention but I thought I'd ask some pros beforehand! See if I can find out anymore info.
Patrick Adams
Singer/ songwriter in the country tradition. Storyteller and musician working to connect the human race through love and song.
Email: padams_77@yahoo.com
Email: twangquest@gmail.com
Twitter: @PatrickAdams307
www.taxi.com/members/PatrickAdams307
Instagram:@patrickadams307

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:51 am

TheRealPatrickAdams wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:58 pm
...but I thought I'd ask some pros beforehand!
Let me know if any show up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:32 am

Thanks Casey. That was my intention but I thought I'd ask some pros beforehand! See if I can find out anymore info.
Hey Patrick.
Well, for one thing - this platform, the TAXI Forums, is wide open to the public. So - the fact that you include your email addresses in your signature
(not such a good idea, IMHO) - it would be easy for anyone to contact you directly.
You might wanna reconsider offering your direct contact info here - otherwise, you can expect at least some occasional spam.
Hope you get the answers to your questions.
HTH, Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:02 am

funsongs wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:32 am
Hey Patrick.
Well, for one thing - this platform, the TAXI Forums, is wide open to the public. So - the fact that you include your email addresses in your signature
(not such a good idea, IMHO) - it would be easy for anyone to contact you directly.
You might wanna reconsider offering your direct contact info here - otherwise, you can expect at least some occasional spam.
Hope you get the answers to your questions.
HTH, Cheers.
Good point even if unrelated to this particular contact. I try not to put my email address with the '@' sign and '.com' on forums and public pages. If you have a website, provide a contact page which sends messages to your email but doesn't show the actual email. If you post your email address on a forum, post it something like myname _AT_ gmail dot com. Spammers hunt the internet for '@' signs and common email types like gmail.dom, yahoo.com, etc. to grab email addresses.