A few rally tips/reminders (2023)

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

A few rally tips/reminders (2023)

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:52 am

For the most part, CDs have gone the way of the cassette player. Your personal device, usually a smartphone, is how you play music for others.

So...

If your smartphone requires a headphone dongle, make sure to bring one and have it with you for sessions where you may/will be playing your music for others. They're so small, you may as well just have it in your pocket.

Make sure your device is charged. Sometimes I've had to keep a charger or power pack on me, not just at a rally, but for situations where I might not be able to recharge for a while. Older phones' charges don't last as long. Showing up at a 1:1 mentor session with a dead battery would not be productive.

For the tracks that you expect to be playing for others, I strongly recommend they are stored LOCALLY on your device and not dependent on an internet connection (Soundcloud, Disco, Taxi page, websites, etc.). While there is WiFi available pretty much everywhere at the Westin, sh*t happens, dead spots happen, etc. Make sure these tracks are VERY easy to locate on your device such as in a playlist. Time spent fumbling to find the track you want to play for a mentor is a waste of everyone's time.

Know what you want to play for mentors, feedback & panel sessions, etc. in advance. A 1:1 mentor session is 15 minutes which is a blink of the eye. Use every second as best as possible. It's not the time to scroll through a bunch of songs deciding what to play.

HTH
:D Casey

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: A few rally tips/reminders (2023)

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:38 pm

Great -- thanks for this, Casey. I've been wondering about that.

Will the mentors have their own headphones with them, for 1-on-1's, etc?
Stream my latest singer-songwriter album here: https://ffm.to/anthonyceseri

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:15 pm

AnthonyCeseri wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:38 pm
Great -- thanks for this, Casey. I've been wondering about that.

Will the mentors have their own headphones with them, for 1-on-1's, etc?
Yes, the mentors will have their own headphones. I can't imagine any mentor wanting to wear someone else's sweaty headphones or stick someone else's earbuds in their ears. :D ;)

See you there! We crossed paths some years back when you interviewed me but I'm pretty sure we've never met.

Best,
Casey

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:02 pm

Yes, the mentors will have their own headphones. I can't imagine any mentor wanting to wear someone else's sweaty headphones or stick someone else's earbuds in their ears. :D ;)

See you there! We crossed paths some years back when you interviewed me but I'm pretty sure we've never met.

Best,
Casey
Haha... yeah figured, but still gotta ask.

Yes, I remember that. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Stream my latest singer-songwriter album here: https://ffm.to/anthonyceseri

SteveR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveR » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:26 am

Great advice, thank you Casey. Was nice to get to learn a little bit about you on TAXI TV this week. I hope I get the chance to say hi in person at the rally. How you manage to do all that you do is incredible. Your contributions, especially for a new guy like me, are very valuable. I’d gladly buy you a beer or two…