Turn Your Tracks into Triumphs with Collaboration on TAXI TV

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Turn Your Tracks into Triumphs with Collaboration on TAXI TV

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:06 pm

Just a quick correction to my long numbered response a few posts up. In item 3, I didn't mean to imply that turning around a vocal song in 3-4 weeks for a listing is difficult, at least not for truly committed co-writers. It's done and successfully all time. Caveat: Talking about co-writers who do the production work themselves and don't hire out the whole song which can take many weeks. If you are hiring a vocalist, sometimes there can be a hiccup as to the availability of the person you want and you'll have to look for someone else.

I was thinking of how *I* generally operate where developing and getting songs produced is often a slower process and contrasting that with how I might collab on pure instrumentals. I am not at all the norm in many cases.

HTH, thank you cosmicdolphin for the input.

:D Casey

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:58 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:25 am

crashgates wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:58 pm
Its the stories you hear of people pumping out songs in 2-4 hrs that sound abnormal to me'
It used to take me about 6 months to finish a song back in the days when I was making my Cosmic Dolphins Eps and Album. Now I can have a song completed inside of a week , it's just practice really. And that's working a day job as well not purely working on music. I think what you go down a lot less dead ends when you really know your s##t. All the sounds, your gear and what works, how to dial in the mix. You can just use your go to stuff straight up knowing it will pretty much sound right from the get go.

A couple of years ago an email came from a Taxi LIbrary wanting a cover song with the deadline being the same day. One of my sync pals messaged me as I was having dinner saying we should try it and between 3 of us , singer , guitarist and me as producer/mixer we turned it around in about 5hrs and they signed it. The whole thing was wrapped up before midnight butI don't think I could do that with an original song.

The quickest cue I ever made took about 90 mins but that was just a droney kinda affair with about 4 or 5 layers and a couple of chords but it did get signed. A 'proper' cue usually takes me 8 - 12 hrs which is about right if you're trying to do 2 a week. However I'm working on one right now that's more complex for an Arabian Orchestral brief and so far I've racked up about 18hrs on it according to my DAW - almost finished it now.

Mark

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:50 am

Last edited by crashgates on Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:39 am

While getting vocal songs completely done in 3-4 weeks is sometimes challenging, more so than instrumental cues, reality is it's done all the time by Taxi members who get forwards and library deals. Keep in mind that many members do their own vocals or have formed close collaborative relationships with other members. So maybe person A puts together the backing track, and person B writes and sings the topline. Then one of them finishes the mix and production. (For example).

I'll ignore your comment/question about library signings as I'm sticking to the subject of collaboration.

Again, a major point in my post above (and the Taxi TV) is it's all about relationships. Want to turn a song around in 3-4 weeks for a listing and can't do it alone? The answer is building relationships so you have "go to" folks to work with and crank these out. Building relationships requires conducting yourself in a way that people will be interested in working with you.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:00 am

crashgates wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:50 am
do you mean you gave it to a sales agent for free/IOU hoping to get a royality cheque in 12 months time
This ( you do have to sign a contract though )

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:41 pm

Dude, Crashgates, why do you keep posting stuff all over the forums and then deleting your posts? I just looked through your comment history and it appears you have deleted about 95% of your comments, which makes it very hard to follow along with discussions - almost to the point of it not being worthwhile. Either commit to your posts, or don't post them at all - please, for the sake of the greater group as a whole. It's very frustrating to attempt catching up on these topics when there are so many gaps.

~~Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:25 pm

Matt

:lol: Casey