My first custom song critique

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cowriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

My first custom song critique

Post by cowriter » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:23 am

Hello everyone, as a newcomer/returner to the sync market, I recently booked an individual song critique, to find out where I currently stand and how that is perceived by an outsider. I picked one of my "classic rock songs" and was pleasantly surprised at how detailed and positive the review was and would like to thank screener 374 for a job well done. I am happy to share the song and its review because I have already received interesting insights from colleagues through such links.

Song: "Waiting for the rain" https://www.taxi.com/members/andyhorn

Review:

Style
The style of the track is 80's pop/rock with a synth presence. This based on your instrumental tones, melodic idea and general spirit.

Melody
Melody is nice and defined from part to part. Verses feature good pacing a nice lift to oncoming chorus. Chorus is well executed and rhythmic energy offers good support to help make individual lines stand out for the better. Bridge section offers a welcomed departure from main theme idea. I could hear some development from the base in verse with perhaps another pass in second sequence along with a little more vamping and elevation on that final chorus run, but overall nice job.

Structure

The song is well defined structurally. The combo of melody and rhythmic approach makes each part sound distinct and easy to follow. Transitions are well defined and running time is good at just over 3:00. Thoughts would be another verse pass on V2, a more perceived break down/build out in the bridge sequence and some vocal arrangement work on the final chorus to offer a more elevated energy before wrapping.

Lyrics and Title
The lyrics ring universal and friendly to licensing/sync. A lyric sheet would be helpful next time around, but I get the gist after a couple spins. While the idea doesn't connect in an overly inventive sense, nothing stands out as being overly cliche. As far as the title is concerned, I find myself connecting more with "Find My Way" over "Waiting For The Rain." I also feel the latter phrase would apply to more onscreen applications in the sync realm. Good job overall, though, on the lyric front.

Production

The recording is good and the mix is generally well balanced. The main thing I'm hearing is that the synth tends to fight with the lead vocal in chorus (except final pass). I could hear you adjusting the part to offer more lift and vocal focus. Good job otherwise.

Overall Comments
Hi Andy, I'll go through your track offering thoughts/suggestions.

INTRO: I like the fill that kicks things off. The synth lead has a nice forward moving energy and the overall length of the part is good.

V1: Melodic pacing is good and the vocal conveys some nice character. The "set my self free" line offers good lift and setup to oncoming chorus.

C1: I like the contrasting melodic shift into this first chorus sequence. The lyric hook is relatable and could work well in the context of licensing. The issue that I'm hearing is that the synth line is pulling my focus away from the vocal. There seems to be a little too much competition here. A suggestion would be to simplify the synth part to allow for more vocal focus. This would tend to provide a more open energy for the part as well.

REINTRO: The synth line works well in this sequence.

V2: An argument could be made to extend this out with another pass. The second pass could provide melodic development from the first run to deliver some verse variety.

C2: The rhythmic work on "Find my way" is nice and supportive to the top line. Nice attention grabber. Again, though, I feel the part is a little too dominated by the synth.

BRIDGE: Nice call to offer a scene change in this sequence. A thought would be more of a break down and perceived build out to enhance things ever so slightly.

SOLO: Well played with some good expression coming through. Tone and approach falls in line with the 80's influenced styling of the track.

C3/C4: Double chorus run is the way to go here. The final pass sounds more open as the synth part is less "in your face." As mentioned, I would advocate for this type of treatment on all passes for more vocal focus. I like ending with the stacked vocal, but could hear a rock'n'roll ending to follow to offer a touch more closure.

Onto your questions:

1. Yes, this meets the criteria required for the sync world. The recording/production is generally solid and the lyric theme could work in a variety of applications.

2. Very important to use laser focused targeting when pitching to sync. This is an 80's pop/rock track with a synth tie-in. You'll want to make sure that your song shares common ground with the reference material in a given listing. For instance, I would not pitch to modern/current requests. Since your production and writing is tonally 80's you'll want to hold out for those types of pitches. This may limit usability factor as we tend to see more current requests than 80's, but 80's leaning requests are still out there. 

3. Note above and individual song boxes for notes on potential weak points/areas for improvement. 

4. 80's pop/rock and synth rock.

5. Yes, I feel the song could be forwarded if the listing calls for driving 80's pop/rock and synth rock.

I hope my thoughts have been helpful. I enjoyed listening and wish you the best with your song.

Listener #374