Question about listing # S231029GM

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Question about listing # S231029GM

Post by myk247365 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:29 pm

"Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF - they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc.), instead of focusing on the productions and textures." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission please!"

The references all appear to have multiple motifs as I understand the term.

Does this mean they want the same 4 bar melody over and over? maybe just changing up the accompaniment? or is something like Beethoven's 5th, where he uses a small 4 note phrase moved around in various intervals to create a large melodic structure, viable?

Or is it the harmony that counts, and as long as the melody sticks to more linear lines, it can vary a little upon each repeat of the harmony?

other thoughts?

richierock

Re: Question about listing # S231029GM

Post by richierock » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:52 am

Hi myk,

I had this recently on a light tension track and will also be attempting this one. I went for a very simple repetitive motif, not much variation but maybe too simple. See the track and feedback below, I'll be using this to help on the next one, hope it will answer a few questions for you too.

Track: Stealth Among Peril

Feedback I received:

What I like most about this song
Thank you for following the track length needed. I also like the initial elements you have on here.

I think you could improve this song by
I think we can make this less repetitive and remove elements like the bells that make this sound less tense.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Development and composition could use more work.

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Question about listing # S231029GM

Post by myk247365 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:54 pm

Hi Richie,

I listened to your track. It sounds good for a tension cue, but maybe they were looking for something not so heavy? Funny they mention the bells, as I thought 2 beats of the clacky percussion at the end could be the beginning with the bells coming in on beat 3. Then build the texture like you did, but use a swooshing riser to create a cadence/edit point. But I guess you never can tell what will strike someone's fancy. I've had stuff forwarded that I never expected, so I guess it's just luck of the draw.

cheers,

Michael