We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Is this anything?

Post by DouglasKnight » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:10 pm

Hey Peers!

Trying out a new genre ( INDIE/ALT-POP INSTRUMENTALS ) and hoping I'm on the right, track -- let me know what you think:

My track so far: https://s.disco.ac/mcsdaplunfbh

The listing: https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S231106XB

Thank you!
Doug
Last edited by DouglasKnight on Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:43 pm

Last edited by crashgates on Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Is this anything?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:34 am

Nice title, but I don't really hear much similarity between your track and the reference tracks.

The arpeggiated synth and four to floor electronic kick puts it firmly into more of an electonic pop vibe...more like a mid 90s Erasure track than the refs ( and a little cheesy as Crash mentions). I don't hear those elements present in the refs at all.

YOur bass doesn't sound like a live organic style bass heard in the refs and drum sound is completely different too. Yours sound a lot more like a drum machine where the refs have more of a natural vibe sounding perhaps like they could be a live drum part more than a programmed one.

The melody really jumps out of the track as well which I think would make it difficult place under dialogue and it's kinda stiff like it's been drawn in / programmed and draws too much attention to itself. The melodies in the ref tracks are not particularly strong, they create more of a vibe than a memorable melody.

So overall I am struggling to find much in common between your track and what they are asking for which was :

"Catchy motifs, modern arrangements, and engaging rhythms " - we have a more dated stiffer sounding track here arranged with different elements than heqard in the refs

" Instrumentation that's in the wheelhouse of the references will work best. " - agreed but instrumentaion used is different

"Please be sure that your productions are polished" - mix itself is not too bad but the lead part would be too loud even if it was the right vibe which it isn't currently.

I think you could probbaly polish this into something more engaging that would suit a different listing but it's pretty wide of the mark IMHO for this one.

Mark

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:44 am

I think Mark makes some really good points about the drums, bass, and melody. Compositionally--I think it's a good track, and I do get an indie pop vibe from it. Personally, I would find a different sound for the melody. Something a little thinner (maybe more whistle-y?). I would also replace the piano sound. I think the Sculpture synth in Logic has some nice modeled keyboard patches that might make a good replacement.

Are you familiar with the Drip Fx plugin (https://dripplugin.com)? I use it all the time when I'm working on pop music!

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:28 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:34 am
Nice title, but I don't really hear much similarity between your track and the reference tracks.

The arpeggiated synth and four to floor electronic kick puts it firmly into more of an electonic pop vibe...more like a mid 90s Erasure track than the refs ( and a little cheesy as Crash mentions). I don't hear those elements present in the refs at all.

YOur bass doesn't sound like a live organic style bass heard in the refs and drum sound is completely different too. Yours sound a lot more like a drum machine where the refs have more of a natural vibe sounding perhaps like they could be a live drum part more than a programmed one.

The melody really jumps out of the track as well which I think would make it difficult place under dialogue and it's kinda stiff like it's been drawn in / programmed and draws too much attention to itself. The melodies in the ref tracks are not particularly strong, they create more of a vibe than a memorable melody.

So overall I am struggling to find much in common between your track and what they are asking for which was :

"Catchy motifs, modern arrangements, and engaging rhythms " - we have a more dated stiffer sounding track here arranged with different elements than heqard in the refs

" Instrumentation that's in the wheelhouse of the references will work best. " - agreed but instrumentaion used is different

"Please be sure that your productions are polished" - mix itself is not too bad but the lead part would be too loud even if it was the right vibe which it isn't currently.

I think you could probbaly polish this into something more engaging that would suit a different listing but it's pretty wide of the mark IMHO for this one.

Mark
Thanks a lot for taking time to listen and for such a thorough and helpful response, Mark! Very much appreciated :)

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:29 am

BrentI wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:44 am
I think Mark makes some really good points about the drums, bass, and melody. Compositionally--I think it's a good track, and I do get an indie pop vibe from it. Personally, I would find a different sound for the melody. Something a little thinner (maybe more whistle-y?). I would also replace the piano sound. I think the Sculpture synth in Logic has some nice modeled keyboard patches that might make a good replacement.

Are you familiar with the Drip Fx plugin (https://dripplugin.com)? I use it all the time when I'm working on pop music!
Hi Brent! Thanks a lot for your feedback on this and for the link, I will explore that :D Hope you're well!