Received my first library contact

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Received my first library contact

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:35 pm

melodea wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:05 am
So, I've got an email from the above-mentioned ********** company and it seems to be an exclusive contract for 3 years BUT without PRO registration. That's a stock music library, right?
First, CONGRATS! :D

You can simply ask them which songs they were interested in.

I don't know if I'd call it stock music but it's RF and specializes in music for videos such as weddings, etc. I know some folks who made a few hundred dollars a quarter with them. I made much smaller amounts but didn't have many tracks signed. And I signed with them when they were non-exclusive. As with other similar libraries, it's possible that with the newer subscription model, the payouts are significantly less now.

Whether to sign or not depends on some factors. What else would you do as far as pitching these tracks if you didn't sign this deal? If they would only languish on your hard drive forever then it's a no-brainer to go for it. But if you feel the tracks can get better opportunities with more Film/TV broadcast oriented libraries, hold out. BUT keep in mind that instrumental cue libraries are getting more and more selective as their catalogs fill up. Do you write a lot of cues such that you could write many more in the same style(s)? If that's the case, sometimes it's worth putting a few where an opportunity arises.

Best of luck,
:D Casey

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:37 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:35 pm
melodea wrote:
So, I've got an email from the above-mentioned ********** company and it seems to be an exclusive contract for 3 years BUT without PRO registration. That's a stock music library, right?
First, CONGRATS! :D

You can simply ask them which songs they were interested in.

I don't know if I'd call it stock music but it's RF and specializes in music for videos such as weddings, etc. I know some folks who made a few hundred dollars a quarter with them. I made much smaller amounts but didn't have many tracks signed. And I signed with them when they were non-exclusive. As with other similar libraries, it's possible that with the newer subscription model, the payouts are significantly less now.

Whether to sign or not depends on some factors. What else would you do as far as pitching these tracks if you didn't sign this deal? If they would only languish on your hard drive forever then it's a no-brainer to go for it. But if you feel the tracks can get better opportunities with more Film/TV broadcast oriented libraries, hold out. BUT keep in mind that instrumental cue libraries are getting more and more selective as their catalogs fill up. Do you write a lot of cues such that you could write many more in the same style(s)? If that's the case, sometimes it's worth putting a few where an opportunity arises.

Best of luck,
:D Casey
thanks a bunch Casey!
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:51 pm

melodea wrote:
So, I've got an email from the above-mentioned T*****S***** company and it seems to be an exclusive contract for 3 years BUT without PRO registration. That's a stock music library, right?
Exactly.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:42 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:51 pm
melodea wrote:
So, I've got an email from the above-mentioned T*****S***** company and it seems to be an exclusive contract for 3 years BUT without PRO registration. That's a stock music library, right?
Exactly.
Thanks Mark, I have a bunch of unsigned tracks that could be more of use in their catalog than on my harddisk collecting dust! I'll give it a try, you never know ;-)
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser