Cutdowns in Logic Pro

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Burnzy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Cutdowns in Logic Pro

Post by Burnzy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:57 pm

I’m working on cutdowns (30, 60 sec etc) from a Wav master in Logic Pro. I’m not getting the same audio quality sound on my Bounces for some reason. I’m not running any plugins or effects, and bouncing at the same 48/16 as the original file. Has anyone run into this and/or might know what’s going on? Likely missing hitting a button I don’t know about or something I missed. Thanks for your input.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Cutdowns in Logic Pro

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:24 am

That seems very odd. Basically (and sorry if this is already obvious).....
- If you master directly as part of the session, check your full mix is sounding as it should, then don't change any plugin settings whilst editing the parts on the tracks to get the cut-down length required.
- If you master as a separate process, edit your tracks (without changing any mixing plugins), then make sure your cut-down mixes sound exactly like your full mix, then master each cut-down using the exact same mastering plugins and settings as for your full mix.

Note that you can sometimes get strange things happening if you disable any side-chaining, or if an alt mix doesn't include a side-chain source.

Finally, (and apologies again if this is way too obvious), if you're simply editing an already mastered full mix (an option I'd only choose as a last resort), then make sure you're not running it through the mastering plugins again :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:07 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:24 am
If you're simply editing an already mastered full mix (an option I'd only choose as a last resort)
I've done all of mine like this ! I think it's easier and quicker and the results are no worse

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:35 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:07 am
Telefunkin wrote:
If you're simply editing an already mastered full mix (an option I'd only choose as a last resort)
I've done all of mine like this ! I think it's easier and quicker and the results are no worse
I agree that editing the mastered stereo file shouldn't be any worse - sonically - but going back into the DAW session offers much more flexibility. For example, in order to make the cut-down exactly the right length it might be easier to add a short drum fill or riser to the start of the last section (for example), than to try and get a clean edit part-way through a bar or in a gap where there could be over-hanging reverb/delay. I usually need to go back into the session anyway to make alt mixes so I don't see it as additional work to make the cut-downs from there.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:43 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:35 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:07 am
Telefunkin wrote:
I agree that editing the mastered stereo file shouldn't be any worse - sonically - but going back into the DAW session offers much more flexibility. For example, in order to make the cut-down exactly the right length it might be easier to add a short drum fill or riser to the start of the last section (for example), than to try and get a clean edit part-way through a bar or in a gap where there could be over-hanging reverb/delay. I usually need to go back into the session anyway to make alt mixes so I don't see it as additional work to make the cut-downs from there.
^^ Ditto
Add to that, you can create project alternatives in Logic, where you only have one file on your drive with multiple..alternatives in it. I use those to save my different edits. I don`t find the need to create project alternatives for alt mixes, but I find it helpfull for edits
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:39 pm

Not sure how that can happen since all you are doing is bouncing a highlighted period of time, correct? Or, are you exporting them as audio files instead of bouncing? If the latter, do you have the "Bypass Audio Effects" checkbox selected?
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Burnzy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Burnzy » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:49 pm

Thanks for all the input. I found out what is sounding different is it's coming out in Mono. Shows both L/R channels on the track I am bouncing when playing back in Logic, but not on the Bounce to WAV. On a mono device like a bluetooth speaker it sounds exactly the same quality as my alt mixes. Haven't figured out why it's coming out mono just yet. Still troubleshooting. I am Bouncing like I normally do hundreds of times.