prison song

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

prison song

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:43 pm

I'm looking to see if you think this is a good fit. My concern is around the music as well as the vocal quality.

Yes/No or feedback is appreciated.

Link to the song in Box https://app.box.com/s/p9h80ckwjzj2qrrbf4nzf1no4hfysyba

The details of the listing: S231203FP

Folsom Prison Blues is currently temped in.... this is a replacement for that song.
top-notch Country Songs that could work well for a prison-themed Film scene! Your submissions should have catchy melodies, engaging rhythms, great musicianship, and well-crafted lyrics in the theme mentioned above. Instrumentation that matches the reference Song will work best (guitar, bass, percussion), and organic, live instrumentation is needed for this listing. Please make sure your productions are polished. Compelling and well-performed Male vocals are key!

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: prison song

Post by deantaylor » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:45 pm

Prolly No. But I like your song. I like the vocal. Your song has more energy than the ref track. But, idk, might be worth a fiver to try it.

XrashGates
Active
Active

Post by XrashGates » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:35 pm

Last edited by XrashGates on Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:12 am

Dean & Gates.... thanks for your opinions and insights.

Someone else in a different forum thought the last line of the verses was a little too close (in their words) to Folsom's melody line in the similar location. What do you think? We definitely don't want a clone.

I thought I might do a mix with the lead guitar fills muted and only use it in the intro, solo, and outro. That would make it much less energetic and perhaps lend itself to this listing a bit better.

XrashGates
Active
Active

Post by XrashGates » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:03 pm

Last edited by XrashGates on Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:51 pm

Disclaimer: Take advice lightly. I'm a dude trying to grow but also wanting to repay this community that has helped me so much over the years.

I think the guitar playing is stellar. Those are huge "yes" from me.

I like the lyrics too - hooky "behind these bars I'm just a prisoner of shame" . . . nice!

Tempo
I tapped the Cash song at about 103 and yours at about 112. I'm thinking that difference in tempo (based on the listing) could be an issue. Would it be tough to re-cut more closely to both the tempo and energy of Folsom Prison Blues?

Vocals
I think the vocal "as-is" could work. I can definitely imagine a track like this playing while I'm watching some kind of prison scene. I wonder if just a few "scoops" could be added in a few places to help sell the "country" a bit more?

Drums
The drums sound very midi to me. So, if they are . . . can you either improve the quality of the samples or get them cut for realsy? Or, conversely, bury them more in the mix as the guitar and vocal is really what has the best chance of carrying this tune?