When submitting to a listing, which version?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

When submitting to a listing, which version?

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:22 pm

So when you have a song that you want to submit to a listing but you also know that sometimes less is more......

Do you ever submit multiple versions of the same song, each different in one way or the other, to the same listing?

In the past, I've had publishers and libraries ask for, lets say.... the full version , an edited version and a rhythm only version. Not to mention cut down versions, stingers, and instro version.

For a film listing, lets say you have a vocal song, and the lead guitar track, which includes intro, fills, solo, and outro, can sound a little "overwhelming"....

Would you consider submitting a full version with all the lead stuff or, would you submit an edited version of lead only on the intro, solo, and outro?

OR... would you submit BOTH to the TAXI listing for the request?

Also in the mix but not included in the above discussion would be a rhythm version with NO leads at all. I know the library/publisher is going to want that regardless.... but for the purposes being discussed here... how would you submit?

Thanks

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: When submitting to a listing, which version?

Post by Casey H » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:42 pm

You submit your main mix, all the alt edits and cutdowns would be if the library signed the track and asked for those.

An exception might be if you have 2 different versions of the main mix, slightly different, and you want the screener to hear both.

HTH
Casey

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:36 am

Casey H wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:42 pm
You submit your main mix, all the alt edits and cutdowns would be if the library signed the track and asked for those.

An exception might be if you have 2 different versions of the main mix, slightly different, and you want the screener to hear both.

HTH
Casey
I appreciate that response. That's kinda what I was thinking. Regarding the taxi screening process.... I'm still in the process of trying to figure out what works best. I have a song with 3 versions of the same underlying song. The variations revolve around how much guitar (lead) is in them. One is full with all the fills and such, the second is a pared down version with only the essentials in the song and all the fills removed. This has a respectable groove happening and then the other version is no leads at all. For this particular listing, I'm figuring to submit the full and edited version for consideration.
If one gets a forward, I'm in the door, if both are forwarded... cool enough, and if none get forwarded, well, it was a fun write anyway.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:31 am

I did that once, submitted 2 versions and they both were forwarded that time. I'd just say don't go overboard often with this as you can drive yourself nuts, it costs more money, and you still might not get a forward for a variety of other reasons you haven't even thought of.

What's funny about this business is whatever we think is a possible issue with a track often tends to not even be what listeners make their decisions on.

Good luck!
:D Casey

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:26 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:31 am
I did that once, submitted 2 versions and they both were forwarded that time. I'd just say don't go overboard often with this as you can drive yourself nuts, it costs more money, and you still might not get a forward for a variety of other reasons you haven't even thought of.

What's funny about this business is whatever we think is a possible issue with a track often tends to not even be what listeners make their decisions on.

Good luck!
:D Casey
Not planning to go overboard on it. I currently have the full version submitted. Still flipping the coin on the edited version.

Things I thought were not good ... people loved and vice versa.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Herb