We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Vocal Replacement In an Instrumental

Post by pwaara » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:06 pm

Hey everyone,

What do you all do when a listing is asking for an instrumental, but all of the references are vocal songs? Typically, I will replace the vocal with an instrument from the genre (e.g., guitar for rock), but I have not had much success with this strategy. For example, I submitted the track below to the White Stripes instrumental listing. (Listing text is in the playlist comments.) It got returned with the following comments (no other checkboxes.)

"What I like most about this song
I appreciate the raw energy of the track and dig the creativity.

I think you could improve this song by
The theme and production could come together a little more for added overall strength. I would try a singular guitar approach to start as the left/right is a little busy in current form.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The writing/production could be more competitive with the reference material. Note "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes for review."

What do you all think?

https://s.disco.ac/cdcosoifdyap

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Vocal Replacement In an Instrumental

Post by DouglasKnight » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:40 pm

pwaara wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:06 pm
Hey everyone,

What do you all do when a listing is asking for an instrumental, but all of the references are vocal songs? Typically, I will replace the vocal with an instrument from the genre (e.g., guitar for rock), but I have not had much success with this strategy. For example, I submitted the track below to the White Stripes instrumental listing. (Listing text is in the playlist comments.) It got returned with the following comments (no other checkboxes.)

"What I like most about this song
I appreciate the raw energy of the track and dig the creativity.

I think you could improve this song by
The theme and production could come together a little more for added overall strength. I would try a singular guitar approach to start as the left/right is a little busy in current form.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The writing/production could be more competitive with the reference material. Note "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes for review."

What do you all think?

https://s.disco.ac/cdcosoifdyap
Hey Pat, sorry to hear about the return. I submitted two tracks and had one returned as well. Your track isn't bad at all, but I'd have to agree with the screener, it could have been tighter performance-wise and focused on building up the main riff rather than adding a lead/melody as well. When a listing is asking for an instrumental, but all of the references are vocal songs, I've learned to be careful not to make any melodic element too busy or distracting in case it's used with dialog. Hope that's helpful!
Last edited by DouglasKnight on Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:50 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:40 pm

Hey Pat, sorry to hear about the return. I submitted two tracks and had one returned as well. Your track isn't bad at all, but I'd have to agree with the screener, it could have been been tighter performance-wise and focused on building up the main riff rather than adding a lead/melody as well. When a listing is asking for an instrumental, but all of the references are vocal songs, I've learned to be careful not to make any melodic element too busy or distracting in case it's used with dialog. Hope that's helpful!
Thanks for the response, Douglas. Yeah, I was just listening to the forwards and they were all very sparse melodic content. When I hear instrumental, I think song without words, but it seems they want more like backing tracks with some ear-candy/minimal melody thrown in. II think I always try to say too much. 'll keep that in mind for the next one.

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:47 am

Nice basic track.... however, I think it could have had more development and a cool recurring theme. It seemed heavy to me rather than upbeat.

I've had returns for the same reasons.... not enough development of the theme or in some cases.... actually too busy. Learn from this and try again.