"I Think About You Way Too Much"

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

"I Think About You Way Too Much"

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:43 pm

Hi all! This is first mix of a remake of an older song of mine. The style is a bit like Plain White Tees "Hey There Delilah" and their newer song "Spaghetti Tattoo". Let me know any mix feedback. Lyrics are not changeable at this point, just mix. Happy Thanksgiving! 😁

I wanted a simple acoustic song as I hear a lot of that in Film/TV these days. It doesn't have to be dead nuts on those Plain White Tees songs, just in that realm.

https://s.disco.ac/xihyplfvjxzw

:mrgreen: Casey

PS Spaghetti Tattoo : https://youtu.be/M-O4mTakYMU?si=-OP-L5bGxfxxde2O

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: "I Think About You Way Too Much"

Post by deantaylor » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:34 pm

Nice version Casey! Style does seems similar to PWT. I really like the vocal. I like the vibe. I'm not a mix expert but the mix sounds good to me. There is that one guitar part that stands out in the last chorus, but I think I like it.
Dean

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:43 pm

Thanks Dean! I don't like that little guitar thing at the end. It jumps way out, not even sure it's needed. At the minimum, I'd lower the volume on it. Or remove it. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:18 am

Pretty song, I like the guitar / vocal approach

What I don't like so much is the lyrics / melody in the verse especially. I think they could be a lot stronger if you worked on it some more.

They sound more like something I'd expect from a less experienced songwriter as they come across very rote / predictable like a first draft you'd make just to get something down.

The pre-chorus / chorus is better than the verses although I still think they could be improved fairly easily too.

Arrangement wise whilst I appreciate the simple approach I got bored of it after a while and I think there's lots of little things you could do to enhance it as the track progresses whilst still keeping the stripped down vibe. Some variation in the vocal melody so you don't always land on the same note every time, some additional backing harmony vocals, a little percussion etc.

This could be stellar if you worked it right but as it is it just feels somewhat like a missed opportunity and "pain white" or " vanilla" is kinda how it comes across right now to me.

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:55 am

Thanks, Mark. Always appreciate your detailed feedback. :D I agree the lyrics are far from stellar here and struggled on whether to move forward on the re-make with them. And the chords/melody do have 60s-like simplistic predictability. All valid points. We'll see what the library Gods think as far as Film/TV placement. :?

:) Casey

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:04 pm

I really dig this one Casey! Production sounds great and seems it would be perfect for film/TV opps!
-- Marc Blackwell

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:30 pm

I think it's beautiful all-around!

If it is left 100% alone and as-is I think it is marketable.

Just to try to assist maybe two suggestions and one bonus thought:
1. On the start of the cut-chorus around 2:25 maybe temporarily roll of the low end of the guitar to allow the cut-chorus to be even thinner and have a different texture. At 2:37ish it could go back to its normal texture.
2. I really like the extra splash from the guitar at 2:47 . . . but . . . it is too loud - pulls me out of the trance that the song puts me in.
3. Less important - on Verse 2 I do wish that some kind of new instrument entered just to help that V2 be different in some important way.

I love the track Casey.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:24 pm

Good track Casey!

Guitar sound grabs you right from the start. Great sound and recording. The vocals are well put together in this, and have a great airiness to the sound, especially when the harmonies come in.

Mix, song and recording are all solid.

Only thoughts would be to add a touch of variation in the verse melody, later in the track (as previously noted), and to me even some simple perc like a tambourine layered in with the guitar percussion. For the perc, towards the end though, not throughout.

Anyway, enjoyed the song!
Brad

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:53 am

I like that Casey. Very cool, minimalistic but effective.