Americana - You Are My Sunshine Reference - Feedback Desired

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Americana - You Are My Sunshine Reference - Feedback Desired

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:36 am

It's so cool that you guys teamed up for this one. Both vocals have a nice charming quality to them that seems to match the presentation & music. Looking forward to hearing the results on this one! Fingers crossed for both of you, and this great collaboration!!

~~Matt

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:49 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:36 am
It's so cool that you guys teamed up for this one. Both vocals have a nice charming quality to them that seems to match the presentation & music. Looking forward to hearing the results on this one! Fingers crossed for both of you, and this great collaboration!!

~~Matt
"Thank you, Sensei Matt."
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:18 pm

Thanks everyone for putting an ear and some feedback on Peter and I's submission for this track. BOTH versions were returned. I had really hoped to celebrate with Peter who was such a delight to work with . . . but . . . it didn't happen on this one.

:)

Peter - thank you for your creative work and friendship. We'll get 'em next time.

Johnny

Listener 451 gave some nice feedback - Here is the feedback from the "Peter Vox" version of the song:
What I like most about this song
I really like the vintage blend of bluegrass and folk here. Nicely done, Johnny.

I think you could improve this song by
However, I do think this would benefit from a more captivating melodic landscape to better boost its overall harmonic arrangement with some more memorability.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Unfortunately this is close however just isn't memorable enough to nail this pitch and would need a more standout hook set up landing. I'd love to hear the whistle sooner again too.

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:33 am

Cool song. Either vocalist would be a good submission IMHO.

Have you thought about both singers singing? Harmony and swapping lines.... the options are several. A lot of this kind of music has harmonies all over it.

Just a thought of something you might consider. You still have time to try that before the due date.

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:12 am

Thanks for the feedback Hacker. This particular listing closed and our track was returned.

I do wish we'd put harmonies on the track. The 'reference' did not have harmonies. So, even though Peter suggested we add them in, I avoided them. I think the track would've benefitted from some harmonies. So, I do think we'll put them in. I'll check with Peter and see if he agrees. I suspect Peter will be amenable to your idea. Sometimes I think I too slavishly analyze the references. Several of the forwards had harmonies. So, "my bad" on avoiding them. :)

On the swapping singers thing, I'd be more resistant. One of the possible interpretations of the song is that this dude is desperate and easily falls and/or desires EVERY girl. Until he finally finds a "taker". Ha! He uses the "throw the spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks approach to courting". :) I think having multiple singers would undermine that interpretation a bit.

Thank you for continuing to invest your thoughts on the track. Even if it's too late to apply to this particular listing, it does give me a food for thought/lessons for improving THIS track and the work I'll do on future tracks.

Best wishes,
Johnny

Guitarhacker23
Active
Active

Post by Guitarhacker23 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:03 am

your link didn't take me to the right listing apparently.

Heck I'm still trying to figure out how to post links from my TAXI profile and that doesn't appear to be working out either....

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:15 pm

After the listing expires the links kind of break. Casey just posted a workaround on this . . . but I haven't used it - yet.