"Peaceful Jazzy Feeling" feat. Andre (S240201EZ)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: "Peaceful Jazzy Feeling" feat. Andre (S240201EZ)

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:06 am

Hey Michael
It's definitely much better with this vocalist. I think he sounds a bit youthful for a cocktail lounge singer thing which is what I think would be best. It's also OK but probably not strong enough for a higher bar listing. It could be the mixing-- reverb, doubling, FX, etc. However, I think reaching out to hire vocalists was a good move for you. With the deadline looming, there wasn't much time to audition/listen to samples of a few vocalists. Is this a BIAB backing track? (Calm down, Mark :lol: ). I use BIAB for roughs, not finals, but sometimes I export the wavs and midi files and have a co-writer change, re-mix, replace, etc. Straight "out of the box" BIAB often doesn't cut it, though it's getting better all the time.

I assume that's Sharon on harmonies. My ears suck, grain of salt, but I think her harmonies need vocal tuning. They seem off to me. Do you do any tuning such as with Melodyne?

BTW, if you shorten this and remove the vocal, it might work as pure instrumental for a library. Maybe someone hear would help with the mix as a collaborator.

I applaud the choice of this unique approach to the cover. It's not likely to get forwarded here with all that's been said. One big negative is it's a very busy piece. Always remember the intended use of everything we do is under dialog in a scene.

PS If it's BIAB, what style is it? I'd like to try it.

:D Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:21 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:35 am
irthlingz wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:52 pm
Thanks, Mark. I actually meant who we might hire in the future if we want someone to mix for us. (Though will look at the doc you reference, too!)
I would always advocate teaching yourself, if you you work through the book I linked you to then by the end of it you won't need to hire anyone and can put the money towards a professional singer
I agree that DIY is always the best answer, especially from a financial POV. Of course, if your mixer is a co-writer, there is no upfront money to pay. And there's nothing wrong with combining strengths with someone else as a team. Maybe you write good songs but suck at mixing while the other party's skills are the opposite.

The other issue is some people, like me, just don't have the ear for it and while we study the mechanics of mixing, we just have trouble hearing certain things. I know how to use my DAW-- EQ, reverb, panning, some FX, etc. But when it comes to really "getting it" as far as what's a really good mix, my ears just don't pick up differences in settings very much. One can argue that I could be trained or train myself, but some just don't have a knack or adapt to certain things. Some can't write melodies or lyrics well and in the same vein, they read books & watch videos and still don't get it. But I can.

I think sometimes when you are really good at something, like you are, it's hard to accept that others won't ever be. The greatest athletes are often not so great managers and coaches because they can't relate as well to folks who can't do it like they did.

Best,
:D Casey

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:05 pm

I agree with everyone else and I would encourage what Mark said "I would always advocate teaching yourself, if you you work through the book I linked you to then by the end of it you won't need to hire anyone and can put the money towards a professional singer.

I don't know BIAB but I would step back and learn a industry standard DAW, how to record, mix, master and come back to pitching songs to listings. I When I received the email on Tuesday morning for Thursday deadline I wanted to tell you that this is a very high bar and the track has to be top notch but I just provided the service I was asked for. Even the demo you send to others to play on has to be almost there with no mistakes or timing issues to play on, it saves time on our end.

It is amazing how much the members here are trying to help you(including me) and don't give up but I am afraid at some point they might if you don't put the advice into practice.

Al the best and waiting to celebrate your first forward. :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:57 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:21 am
I think sometimes when you are really good at something, like you are, it's hard to accept that others won't ever be.
I wasn't always that great at it though, this book and the subsequent feedback with the author really set me on the road to a more systematic approach and consitent results. Plus a lot of practice, like all these things you have to put in the Reps.

I don't agree that mixing is a "gift" and that you're either born with great ears or not so great ears. It's absoloutely a learned skill and one I feel almost anyone can learn if they have a pair of relatively well functioning ears.

This is different to say singing , where despite many lessons over several years my voice never attained what I would call " broadcast quality"...whatever is required physically, I just don't have it and there isn't really much more to be done.