We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jerrybeirne
Active
Active

classical song, plus AI video

Post by jerrybeirne » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:41 pm

https://www.taxi.com/members/O8Ee21nVR_ ... g-version-

This is my first try and putting something together for strings. I do have a version of this song with vocals too, down a whole step. I created a video using AI for the vocal version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtXk9tmgbdM

If anyone has questions about how to do that, feel free to ask. But mostly I was posting here to get feedback on the classical piece, as it's my first try at something like that. I submitted it for the one entry that ends tonight but I don't think it's neo-classical, but oh well. Not many opportunities here for classical right now.

thanks!
Jerry

jerrybeirne
Active
Active

Re: classical song, plus AI video

Post by jerrybeirne » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:58 am

anyone? esp someone who works in the classical genre, just wondering if they think what i have is rubbish or if it's okay. one of my faves is Barber's Adagio for Strings. i'm also a big Dvorak fan, esp his Serenade for Strings. both of those have tight rich harmonies. IDK if there are opportunities for something like this on Taxi. i'm still working on this piece and may change the strings sections.

thanks,
Jerry

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:38 am

Hi Jerry,
I guess I'm a bit late, but It is usually helpful to add the listing details so other members can have an idea about the references and how your track compares to the refs.
This being said, and while listening to your instrumental, I think you have a good piece of music that works better as a song rather than an instrumental.
The other thing I noticed is that your stings ensemble sounds like a single patch played on a keyboard. If you're aiming for orchestral instrumentals, I suppose a good starting point is to start writing for individual string section ie Violins I, II, Violas, Celli and Double basses.

Another point you mentioned is that the listing was asking for neo-classical instrumentals. What Neo-Classical often refers to is smaller ensemble, a quartet or quintet, rather than large symphonic orchestras. Solo instruments are highlighted: either the violin, the viola or the cello. These highlighted instruments usually carry the main melody.

I don't know if this is helpful enough, or useful at all since the deadline is over already,
however, best of luck with your submission,
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

jerrybeirne
Active
Active

Post by jerrybeirne » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:12 pm

edmondredd wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:38 am
Hi Jerry,
I guess I'm a bit late, but It is usually helpful to add the listing details so other members can have an idea about the references and how your track compares to the refs.
This being said, and while listening to your instrumental, I think you have a good piece of music that works better as a song rather than an instrumental.
The other thing I noticed is that your stings ensemble sounds like a single patch played on a keyboard. If you're aiming for orchestral instrumentals, I suppose a good starting point is to start writing for individual string section ie Violins I, II, Violas, Celli and Double basses.

Another point you mentioned is that the listing was asking for neo-classical instrumentals. What Neo-Classical often refers to is smaller ensemble, a quartet or quintet, rather than large symphonic orchestras. Solo instruments are highlighted: either the violin, the viola or the cello. These highlighted instruments usually carry the main melody.

I don't know if this is helpful enough, or useful at all since the deadline is over already,
however, best of luck with your submission,
Thank you Edmond, the song was already "returned" for not being neo-classical, which is what I expected, I was more interested in the song in general. And your feedback regarding that is very helpful. While I have all of those individual instruments playing separately, I don't think I have the knowledge to really write for each instrument as you describe. But I really appreciate your feedback, it confirms that I don't really know what I'm doing in that regard :)

And thanks for your compliments, the version with vocals has gotten a few thousand streams on Pandora so far, which is a decent start. I will try to make the orchestral part more interesting before releasing the instrumental version.

Jerry