We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

"Take You Home"

Post by Casey H » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:46 pm

Hi
Not for a specific listing. Let me say upfront that I know it's retro sounding. I was trying for more contemporary singer-songwriter and it sounds more Eagles, America, etc. to me, only with more current production.

So... Comments on mix, production, vocal (other than retro sounding) in general?

Sync-worthy as background source music? Libraries like Cr****l and the daytime soap one do mainly those types of placements.

Verse 2 sound to empty, needs something for build? It was done fairly stripped down-- 4-5 instruments. I was thinking maybe some vocalizations in between lyric lines where there is empty space.

https://s.disco.ac/kvrtyfoutekn

Thanks!
:D Casey

cowriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: "Take You Home"

Post by cowriter » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:44 am

Hi Casey,
nice song! Here my 2 cents. The sparse instrumentation makes it sound a bit like a good demo that is still missing the last ingredient to a finished production. Typically, such songs have at least one electric guitar playing fills or arpeggios. When we think of the Eagles, a lab steel guitar often comes into play. In terms of composition, the transition from pre-chorus to chorus doesn't really convince me. Because the last note finishes pretty low. I would rate it 50/50 whether the quality of the product is sufficient for the library you mentioned. I would consider some of what I heard there to be adequate.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:10 am

Thanks Andy!
I purposely went for a more stripped down, acoustic approach but wasn't thinking Eagles, more like singer-songwriters of the past 2 decades-- Howie Day, etc. who can make a few instruments work well. Didn't meet that goal, of course. It's good to get feedback on how others hear it.

Best,

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 pm

Hi Casey-
I really enjoyed this track alot! My 2 cents is that I think that the piano interlude between 1:28 and 1:35 right before the 2nd verse is a nice riff, but maybe could be a different instrument? Even Electric Piano with some tremolo?
As a previous poster said lap steel would be perfect as an in and out kinda overdub in certain spots....
Also, (and this is a personal taste) Maybe a little more effects on the vocals during the chorus? They seem a little dry, and not "distinctive enough" from the pre- choruses....
I did like the vocal doubles in spots however...
Overall it is a great track, with A+ writing, and I could totally hear this one as even a theme song for a show...
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:27 pm

Nice song - makes me think late 90s crossed with the Eagles
The arrangement has taken it too far past stripped down singer songwriter so probably best to add some ear candy and take it to full production.

As already mentioned spots of slide guitar or lap steel - but may be tastefully done synth parts.

be useful for the no vocals mix if nothing else

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:28 pm

Thanks for the comments Andy, SubRivers and Bradley. I did purposely to it more stripped down and I guess it remains to be seen if that's an issue. Could very well be an issue! Personally I don't here at is "demo" and not "production" but sometimes for Film/TV source music it's actually better that way. The good news is I could always add more later if I get no bites. My bigger concern was that it came out so retro sounding. If it was to be a la Eagles, yes it would need more. I was targeting the style of more current singer-songwriters who do relatively stripped down songs. Howie Day, Noah Gundersen, Gregory Alan Isakov, etc. But it definitely didn't come out that way. Some of that is my writing style which still has that 60s/70s influence as someone who grew up in those years.

This is the best forum anywhere! :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:58 pm

NIce song but definitely retro - kinda 90s production meets 70's writing

Mix, vocals, etc all sound good. I think the only thing I would change is some of the lyrics which are a bit clunky and/or been done to death ( the opening line for example ) in places , and the only way to get it more contemporary would be to alter the melodic phrasing but I guess it's too late now.

As it stands I still like it well enough, it's good enough to get synched in the right project I think

Mark

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:45 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:58 pm
NIce song but definitely retro - kinda 90s production meets 70's writing

Mix, vocals, etc all sound good. I think the only thing I would change is some of the lyrics which are a bit clunky and/or been done to death ( the opening line for example ) in places , and the only way to get it more contemporary would be to alter the melodic phrasing but I guess it's too late now.

As it stands I still like it well enough, it's good enough to get synched in the right project I think

Mark
Thanks Mark!
Appreciate the listen and the feedback. May the library Gods be with me. 8-)