Cue Sheets for Writers Across Different PROs

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davedougherty

Re: Cue Sheets for Writers Across Different PROs

Post by davedougherty » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:06 pm

Matthew, thanks for those details. I thought had pieced that together from some other things I found digging in on this but it’s good to hear from someone who knows that is how it works. The problem started when the team provided the split information - Writer A (BMI) - 50%, Writer B (BMI) 25%, and Writer C (ASCAP) 25%. The first response was that we couldn’t have the splits we wanted because of the different PROS. That then moved to some statement that the problem was with how to do cue sheets. Then it moved to we should just have all the royalties flow to one member and have them do the splits. That then went to we should have the ASCAP writer switch to BMI. What should have been a simple fill out the split sheet and move on has now been a back and forth for like 4 days!!

davedougherty

Post by davedougherty » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:54 pm

Matthew, one other question if you don’t mind. Does the publisher then register the song with both BMI and ASCAP?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:06 pm

davedougherty wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:06 pm
Matthew, thanks for those details. I thought had pieced that together from some other things I found digging in on this but it’s good to hear from someone who knows that is how it works. The problem started when the team provided the split information - Writer A (BMI) - 50%, Writer B (BMI) 25%, and Writer C (ASCAP) 25%. The first response was that we couldn’t have the splits we wanted because of the different PROS. That then moved to some statement that the problem was with how to do cue sheets. Then it moved to we should just have all the royalties flow to one member and have them do the splits. That then went to we should have the ASCAP writer switch to BMI. What should have been a simple fill out the split sheet and move on has now been a back and forth for like 4 days!!
That's all the evidence you need to prove you should run away from this deal. This person doesn't have a clue how things work. Like MVB, been doing this a very long time and have hundreds of registrations and cue sheets with co-writers from different PROs. I don't know where you live but if you want to have a phone chat with me about how all this works, just drop me a PM. I'm on US East Coast. Sometimes talking is so much easier than typing. :D

Best,
Casey

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:02 pm

Does the publisher then register the song with both BMI and ASCAP?
YES, the publisher should be the one doing all the track registrations with the PRO's.
The first response was that we couldn’t have the splits we wanted because of the different PROS. That then moved to some statement that the problem was with how to do cue sheets. Then it moved to we should just have all the royalties flow to one member and have them do the splits. That then went to we should have the ASCAP writer switch to BMI.
I'm now convinced you need to run as fast as you can from this deal.

~~Matt

davedougherty

Post by davedougherty » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:04 pm

Thanks Matt! Thanks Casey! I’m definitely going to take your advice. Fortunately, I don’t have much in this library yet and I’m not putting any more energy into it.