I am on a losing streak!

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

I am on a losing streak!

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:21 am

Hi Everybody-
Man, after having a GREAT January, I am on a losing streak! 8 returns IN A ROW !!! Well, at least my beloved Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl again!!
Just got two more returns for the Yacht Rock request, and although I agree a LITTLE bit with one of them regarding the sax sounds (although Time Passages by Al Stewart has a ton of sax on it, AND they ask for sax in the brief!), the other one is baffling to me....
I don't see how anyone would confuse Cool Fights with Cool Nights, other than my somewhat NOT clever naming of the track! Should I have this re-screened?? The feedback seems like more of an opinion than a fact....
Feel free to comment either way....

LISTING:

1980s-Style YACHT ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a New Music Library started by an accomplished Industry Veteran! They already have distribution for their catalog, and because it's a new company this is a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build a new relationship with them!

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues in the general ballpark of these references we got directly from the CEO:

"Sailing" by Christopher Cross

"Key Largo" by Bertie Higgins

"Cool Night" by Paul Davis

"Time Passages" by Al Stewart

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

NOTE: The Company would prefer to hear recently recorded Instrumental Cues, but if you have vintage recordings (recorded back in the day) in the general production style of the references, they would love to hear those as well!

Please submit 1980s-Style Yacht Rock Instrumental Cues that sound like they could be heard on a popular Easy Listening radio station in the early '80s! Warm and relaxing motifs, great musicianship, engaging rhythms, and dynamic arrangements that create some forward motion and developing interest are all needed. Instrumentation that's in the stylistic wheelhouse of the references should work best (electric keys, guitar, saxophone, bass, drums, etc.). Please make sure that any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality, realistic-sounding, and era-appropriate.

As noted by the company, sax and guitar solos are fine for this request, even though they aren't all that popular in the sync industry in general. Bust out your sax, and mellow-sounding guitar!

Quoting the Client: "Looking for Easy Listening Pop music, in vogue in the early 1980s. Saxophone and guitar solos are commonplace."

Your submissions should be between 1:30 and 2:30 minutes long. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Sunday, February 11th, 2024. TAXI # S240211YC

TAXI # S240211YC

https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... zz1vfYu35A
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... gEA109cQiw

Tracks:
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... ss-of-time
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... ool-fights
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I am on a losing streak!

Post by AlanHall » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:54 am

Hey Bradley,
I can see where the screener was coming from on "Cool Fights", and I think you're right that naming it something different than what you did would have eliminated that comment by the screener. That said, I hear a lot more 'synth-y string patches' in your track than in the ref. Maybe that's of a more over-riding factor in the return?

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Re: I am on a losing streak!

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:28 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:54 am
Hey Bradley,
I can see where the screener was coming from on "Cool Fights", and I think you're right that naming it something different than what you did would have eliminated that comment by the screener. That said, I hear a lot more 'synth-y string patches' in your track than in the ref. Maybe that's of a more over-riding factor in the return?
Yeah, my track naming is supposed to be "funny" but it is hurting me for sure...... I will stop that immediately... In "Cool Fights" there is a synth string patch that runs in roughly the same sections as "Cool Night", and it is somewhat buried in the mix. I really was torn between putting it in there or not, but figured that the screener would complain about it NOT being in there....WRONG AGAIN!! What do I know?
I used an EMU Emulator VI, circa 1981 for that, and am pretty sure that they used it on the original recording as well, but it could be Oberheim...not 100% sure. My track sounds more like Atlanta Rhythm Section meets "I Cant Tell You Why" by the Eagles to me, and I can assure you that I wasn't trying to copy "Cool Nights" at all, so I am really baffled by the screeners comments.... I really like this track, in fact, I am thinking of developing it with a buddy of mine into a full on song and releasing it! The World NEEDS a little yacht rock right now! lol
Thanks for your comments as always Alan and Happy Creating!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com